What's New - May 2021 (By topic)
- NEW TM blog: Stand by me (Musings on ongoing bullying in healthcare)
- Perspectives on thalassemia:
- Bangladesh: Thalassaemia must be prevented (9 May 2021)
- India (World Thalassemia Day 2021): Can you receive blood transfusion immediately after Covid-19 vaccination? (8 May 2021)
- Pakistan: World Thalassaemia Day (9 May 2021)
- How to become a lab planner (28 Apr. 2021)
- Red Cross defied basic principles of blood safety by recruiting Hepatitis C-infected donors (Oped, 7 May 2021)
- From 1966 archives: Collapse of a Sydney man with one of the rarest blood types in the world (cdE/cdE or r"r") sparked an international search for donors (7 May 2021) | Related:
- New guideline for blood donation after vaccination (8 May 2021)
- Donate blood before getting vaccinated, doc tells Hoshiarpur youth (28 Apr. 2021) | More than 70% of the blood in blood centres comes from people between 18 and 45 .
- Infected Blood Inquiry: April newsletter
- Infected Blood Inquiry - News:
- COVID pandemic, restrictions cut into global blood plasma supply at U.S.-Mexico border (13 May 2021)
- NY bill would allow air ambulances to carry blood (11 May 2021)
- New Yorker (RN anesthetist) who lost both legs wants blood transfusions on emergency helicopters (30 Apr. 2021)
- CSL forced to offer more cash to US plasma donors (5 May 2021) | Instead of usual $20-$50 USD/donation, first time plasma donors offered between $825-$1100 USD for first eight donations then less/donation thereafter depending on the location & its need.
- Australia: In Cold Blood: how privatisation of CSL abandoned the victims of Australia’s public health tragedy (Oped, 4 May 2021)
- COVID-19: See India and Sri Lanka above.
- HCV: See Australia
- HCV/HIV: See UK and Industry News above
- Thalassemia: See General News above
- NOTE: Starting January 2021 items in the Resource Library will consist of new or recently added ones. The remaining resources will be in Resource Library Archives. You can also access each country's archived resources individually:
- NEW: TraQ's April newsletter
- NEW TM blog: Stand by me (Musings on ongoing bullying in healthcare)
- March TM blog: Simply the best (Musing on healthcare educators during COVID-19)
- NEW CBS: COVID-19: Update on organ donation and transplantation services (Links to many resources)
- CBS Clinical Guide to Transfusion:
- Chapter 6: Donor Selection, Donor Testing and Pathogen Reduction (13 Apr. 2021)
- Chapter 16: Preoperative Autologous Donation (21 Apr. 2021)
- CBS: Ch. 2. Blood Components [Clinical Guide to Transfusion] (Updated: 15 Jan. 2021)
- TraQ's monthly newsletter
- CBS: Upcoming educational events (Seven in April 2021)
- ORBCoN: Massive Hemorrhage Protocol
- ORBCoN: 2021 webcast schedule
- ISBT: Introduction to Blood Transfusion: from donor to recipient. ISBT Science Series (2020) Epub 2020 Dec 11 (Free ebook, 332 pp.)
- SHOT webinar on Haemolytic Transfusion Reactions (12 Mar. 2021) | 55 Min. video
- NHSBT: Patient Blood Management launches Blood Assist app to support and promote safe blood component administration(1 Feb. 2021) | App can be downloaded onto personal devices or centrally in clinical areas.
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues:
- NEW Transfus Med Rev 2021 Jan;35(1):1-66. (Free text articles)
- Brit J Haematol 2017 June;177(6):827-1007. | Special Issue:Low to middle income countries
- Immunohematology (J of American Red Cross): 1988-2017. (Articles in these years are free)
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Open access journal: Hematology, Transfusion and Cell Therapy, Journal of the Brasilian Association of Hematology, Hemotherapy and Cell Therapy (ABHH)
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- Open access journal (May 2020): The Lancet Microbe
- Banchev A, Batorova A, Faganel Kotnik B, et al; Patient Advocacy Group. A cross-national survey of people living with hemophilia: impact on daily living and patient education in central Europe. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2021 Apr 28;15:871-83. | PubMed abstract
- Bolcato M, Shander A, Isbister JP, et al. Physician autonomy and patient rights: lessons from an enforced blood transfusion and the role of patient blood management. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 7.Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Chandler T, Neumann-Böhme S, Sabat I, et al. Blood donation in times of crisis: Early insight into the impact of COVID-19 on blood donors and their motivation to donate across European countries. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Doneda M, Yalçindag S, Marques I, Lanzarone E. A discrete-event simulation model for analysing and improving operations in a blood donation centre. Vox Sang. 2021 May 6. Epub ahead of print.
- Ferguson E. Inequality averse and compassionate blood donor: implication for interventions. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Focosi D, Moscato G, Pistello M, Maggi F. Kinetics of anti-SARS-COV2 spike protein IgG and IgA antibodies at 4°C: Implications for convalescent plasma stability. (Letter to editor) Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 25. Epub ahead of print.
- Garzon Jimenez RC, Lieshout-Krikke RW, Janssen MP. West Nile virus and blood transfusion safety: A European perspective. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 26. Epub ahead of print.
- * Germain M, Grégoire Y, Custer BS,et al; BEST Collaborative. An international comparison of HIV prevalence and incidence in blood donors and general population: a BEST Collaborative study. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print.
- * Goldman M, Uzicanin S, Marquis-Boyle L, O'Brien SF. Implementation of measures to reduce vasovagal reactions: Donor participation and results. Transfusion. 2021 Apr 20. Epub ahead of print.
- * Hadjesfandiari N, Khorshidfar M, Devine DV. Current understanding of the relationship between blood donor variability and blood component quality. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Apr 11;22(8):3943.| PubMed abstract
- Hands K, Taylor C, Kotzé A, Richards T, Narayan S; A British Society for Haematology Good Practice Paper. Preoperative patient blood management during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Br J Haematol. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print.
- Kriegsmann K, Pavel P, Bochtler T, et al. Cryostorage to what end? - Autologous stem cell products in Burkitt lymphoma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and myeloproliferative neoplasm patients. Transfus Med Hemother. 2021 Mar;48(2):91-8. Epub 2020 Sep 15.
- * Lewin A, Drews SJ, Lieshout-Krikke R, et al; Surveillance, Risk Assessment, Policy, the Virology Sub-groups of the ISBT Transfusion Transmitted Infectious Diseases Working Party. An international comparison of anti-SARS-COV-2 assays used for seroprevalence surveys from blood component providers. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 29. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Moore EE, Moore HB, Kornblith LZ, et al. Trauma-induced coagulopathy. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Apr 29;7(1):30.
- Mowla SJ, Kracalik IT, Sapiano MRP, et al. A comparison of transfusion-related adverse reactions among apheresis platelets, whole blood-derived platelets, and platelets subjected to pathogen reduction technology as reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module. Transfus Med Rev. 2021 Apr 2:S0887-7963(21)00007-9. Epub ahead of print.
- Nagiria VR, Vince JD, Duke T. Living with thalassaemia in Papua New Guinea, the experience of children, adolescents and their families. J Paediatr Child Health. 2021 May 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Sinha R, Hakendorf P, Sobieraj-Teague M, Roxby D. Anaemia in elderly patients at discharge from intensive care and hospital. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 18. Epub ahead of print.
- Sørensen K, Baevre MS, Tomter G, et al. The Norwegian experience with nationwide implementation of fetal RHD genotyping and targeted routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Velavan TP, Pallerla SR, Johne R, et al. Hepatitis E: an update on One Health and clinical medicine. (Review) Liver Int. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print.
- * William N, Acker JP. High sub-zero organ preservation: a paradigm of nature-inspired strategies. Cryobiology. 2021 Apr 24:S0011-2240(21)00074-2. Epub ahead of print.
- Yonemura S, Hartson L, Dutt TS, et al. Preservation of neutralizing antibody function in COVID-19 convalescent plasma treated using a riboflavin and ultraviolet light-based pathogen reduction technology. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract