What's New - Chronological (May 2021)
- General news: How to become a lab planner (28 Apr. 2021)
- USA: COVID pandemic, restrictions cut into global blood plasma supply at U.S.-Mexico border (13 May 2021)
- USA: NY bill would allow air ambulances to carry blood (11 May 2021)
- Resource Library (CBS): COVID-19: Update on organ donation and transplantation services (Links to many resources)
- Kriegsmann K, Pavel P, Bochtler T, et al. Cryostorage to what end? - Autologous stem cell products in Burkitt lymphoma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and myeloproliferative neoplasm patients. Transfus Med Hemother. 2021 Mar;48(2):91-8. Epub 2020 Sep 15.
- General news - Perspectives on thalassemia:
- Bangladesh: Thalassaemia must be prevented (9 May 2021)
- India (World Thalassemia Day 2021): Can you receive blood transfusion immediately after Covid-19 vaccination? (8 May 2021)
- Pakistan: World Thalassaemia Day (9 May 2021)
- India: New guideline for blood donation after vaccination (8 May 2021)
- Sri Lanka: Shortage of blood at NBTS due to COVID-19 risks and restrictions on movement (8 May 2021)
- Banchev A, Batorova A, Faganel Kotnik B, et al; Patient Advocacy Group. A cross-national survey of people living with hemophilia: impact on daily living and patient education in central Europe. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2021 Apr 28;15:871-83. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Focosi D, Moscato G, Pistello M, Maggi F. Kinetics of anti-SARS-COV2 spike protein IgG and IgA antibodies at 4°C: Implications for convalescent plasma stability. (Letter to editor) Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 25. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)
- Garzon Jimenez RC, Lieshout-Krikke RW, Janssen MP. West Nile virus and blood transfusion safety: A European perspective. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 26. Epub ahead of print.
- Hands K, Taylor C, Kotzé A, Richards T, Narayan S; A British Society for Haematology Good Practice Paper. Preoperative patient blood management during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Br J Haematol. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)
- Velavan TP, Pallerla SR, Johne R, et al. Hepatitis E: an update on One Health and clinical medicine. (Review) Liver Int. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print.
- Australia: Red Cross defied basic principles of blood safety by recruiting Hepatitis C-infected donors (Oped, 7 May 2021)
- Australia (From 1966 archives): Collapse of a Sydney man with one of the rarest blood types in the world (cdE/cdE or r"r") sparked an international search for donors (7 May 2021) | Related:
- Doneda M, Yalçindag S, Marques I, Lanzarone E. A discrete-event simulation model for analysing and improving operations in a blood donation centre. Vox Sang. 2021 May 6. Epub ahead of print.
- Nagiria VR, Vince JD, Duke T. Living with thalassaemia in Papua New Guinea, the experience of children, adolescents and their families. J Paediatr Child Health. 2021 May 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Industry news: CSL forced to offer more cash to US plasma donors (5 May 2021) | Instead of usual $20-$50 USD/donation, first time plasma donors offered between $825-$1100 USD for first eight donations then less/donation thereafter depending on the location & its need.
- Bolcato M, Shander A, Isbister JP, et al. Physician autonomy and patient rights: lessons from an enforced blood transfusion and the role of patient blood management. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 7.Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract
- Chandler T, Neumann-Böhme S, Sabat I, et al. Blood donation in times of crisis: Early insight into the impact of COVID-19 on blood donors and their motivation to donate across European countries. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract
- Ferguson E. Inequality averse and compassionate blood donor: implication for interventions. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Hadjesfandiari N, Khorshidfar M, Devine DV. Current understanding of the relationship between blood donor variability and blood component quality. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Apr 11;22(8):3943. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Sørensen K, Baevre MS, Tomter G, et al. The Norwegian experience with nationwide implementation of fetal RHD genotyping and targeted routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 5. Epub ahead of print.
- William N, Acker JP. High sub-zero organ preservation: a paradigm of nature-inspired strategies. Cryobiology. 2021 Apr 24:S0011-2240(21)00074-2. Epub ahead of print.
- Yonemura S, Hartson L, Dutt TS, et al. Preservation of neutralizing antibody function in COVID-19 convalescent plasma treated using a riboflavin and ultraviolet light-based pathogen reduction technology. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News):
- Industry news: In Cold Blood: how privatisation of CSL abandoned the victims of Australia’s public health tragedy (Oped, 4 May 2021)
- Resource Library: New from CBS's Clinical Guide to Transfusion:
- Chapter 6: Donor Selection, Donor Testing and Pathogen Reduction (13 Apr. 2021)
- Chapter 16: Preoperative Autologous Donation (21 Apr. 2021)
- Germain M, Grégoire Y, Custer BS,et al; BEST Collaborative. An international comparison of HIV prevalence and incidence in blood donors and general population: a BEST Collaborative study. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print.
- Goldman M, Uzicanin S, Marquis-Boyle L, O'Brien SF. Implementation of measures to reduce vasovagal reactions: Donor participation and results. Transfusion. 2021 Apr 20. Epub ahead of print.
- Mowla SJ, Kracalik IT, Sapiano MRP, et al. A comparison of transfusion-related adverse reactions among apheresis platelets, whole blood-derived platelets, and platelets subjected to pathogen reduction technology as reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module. Transfus Med Rev. 2021 Apr 2:S0887-7963(21)00007-9. Epub ahead of print.
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry): April newsletter
- Lewin A, Drews SJ, Lieshout-Krikke R, et al; Surveillance, Risk Assessment, Policy, the Virology Sub-groups of the ISBT Transfusion Transmitted Infectious Diseases Working Party. An international comparison of anti-SARS-COV-2 assays used for seroprevalence surveys from blood component providers. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 29. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Sinha R, Hakendorf P, Sobieraj-Teague M, Roxby D. Anaemia in elderly patients at discharge from intensive care and hospital. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 18. Epub ahead of print.
- India: Donate blood before getting vaccinated, doc tells Hoshiarpur youth (28 Apr. 2021) | More than 70% of the blood in blood centres comes from people between 18 and 45 .
- Pakistan: KfW ensuring safe blood transfusion across country: Dr Masuma (30 Apr. 2021)
- USA: New Yorker (RN anesthetist) who lost both legs wants blood transfusions on emergency helicopters (30 Apr. 2021)
- Moore EE, Moore HB, Kornblith LZ, et al. Trauma-induced coagulopathy. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Apr 29;7(1):30.