What's New - Chronological (October 2019)
- From the archives: Blau G, Tatum D. Correlates of perceived gender discrimination for female versus male medical technologists. Sex roles 2000 Jul;43(1):105-18. (Free full text) | Related:
- Blau G, Tatum DS, Ward-Cook K, Dobria L, McCoy K. Testing for time-based correlates of perceived gender discrimination. J Allied Health. 2005 Fall;34(3):130-7.
- Zimbabwe: NBSZ justifies high cost of blood (14 Oct. 2019)
- Roubinian NH, Westlake M, St Lezin EM, Edgren G, Brambilla DJ, Lee C, et al; NHLBI Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation Study-III (REDS-III). Association of donor age, body mass index, hemoglobin, and smoking status with in-hospital mortality and length of stay among red blood cell-transfused recipients. Transfusion. 2019 Oct 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Australia: Former Minister of Health breaks years of government compensation refusals in 2014 advice to hepatitis C victim (13 Oct. 2019)
- Canada (ORBCoN): Transfusion Committee Handbook, v3 (Updated Sept. 2019) | Scroll to download link
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry): Contaminated blood caused 'epidemic' of hepatitis in Bournemouth patients with haemophilia during 1970s (12 Oct. 2019) | New documents released under FOIA focus on meeting of 50 directors of UK haemophilia centres an official from DOH, held in Oxford on 1 Nov. 1974.
- Shih AW, Al Khan S, Wang AY, Dawe P, Young PY, Greene A, et al. Systematic reviews of scores and predictors to trigger activation of massive transfusion protocols. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019 Sep;87(3):717-29.
- Yao Y, Cifuentes J, Zheng B, Yan M. Computer algorithm can match physicians' decisions about blood transfusions. J Transl Med. 2019 Oct 10;17(1):340.
- Extreme preemies are at risk of severe blood loss from lab testing (9 Oct. 2019)
- Counsilman CE, Heeger LE, Tan R, Bekker V, Zwaginga JJ, Te Pas AB, Lopriore E. Iatrogenic blood loss in extreme preterm infants due to frequent laboratory tests and procedures. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019 Oct 6:1-6. [Epub ahead of print] (Open access)
- Australia: Life-saving heroes should be paid for their donations (Oped, 11 Oct. 2019) | Related:
- Dhingra N. In defense of WHO's voluntary blood donation policy. (letter) Science 2013 Nov 8;342(6159):691.
- Kenya: Hospitals risk blood shortage for lack of bags (10 Oct. 2019)
- Pakistan: From the depths of despair shines a beacon of hope in Peshawar (10 Oct. 2019)
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News): NI mum angry that spouse's HCV could have passed to baby son (10 Oct. 2019)
- USA: FDA guidance to control for bacterial contamination in platelets (9 Oct. 2019)
- Al Khan S, Rosinski K, Petraszko T, Dawe P, Hwang BW, Sham L, Hudoba M, Roland K, Shih AW. Reducing AB plasma utilisation through the AB plasma appropriateness index. Transfus Med. 2019 Oct 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Duley L, Dorling J, Ayers S, Oliver S, Yoxall CW, Weeks A, et al;on behalf of the Preterm Birth Programme Collaborative Group. Improving quality of care and outcome at very preterm birth: the Preterm Birth research programme, including the Cord pilot RCT. (Programme Grants for Applied Research, No. 7.8)
- Elías JJ, Lacetera N, Macis M. Paying for kidneys? A randomized survey and choice experiment. American Economic Review 2019;109(8): 2855–88.
- Piersma TW, Merz EM, Bekkers R, de Kort W, Andersen S, Hjalgrim H, et al. Life events and donor lapse among blood donors in Denmark. Vox Sang. 2019 Oct 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Prioli KM, Karp JK, Lyons NM, Chrebtow V, Herman JH, Pizzi LT. Economic implications of pathogen reduced and bacterially tested platelet components: a US hospital budget impact model. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2018 Dec;16(6):889-99. (Free full text)
- Whitehead NS, Williams LO, Meleth S, Kennedy SM, Ubaka-Blackmoore N, Geaghan SM,et al. Interventions to prevent iatrogenic anemia: a Laboratory Medicine Best Practices systematic review. Crit Care. 2019 Aug 9;23(1):278. (Free full text)
- General News
- In genetic disease, who has the right to know—or not know—what? (The Economist, 26 Sept. 2019)
- Yellow fever and malaria In USA? With climate crisis, it's possible (30 Sept. 2019) | Climate change affects spread of infectious diseases
- Canada (Research opportunity): Establishment of specific criteria associated with septic transfusion reactions using Quebec’s hemovigilance database - QC-234
- China: Dr. Shuping Wang, whistleblower heroine who exposed China's HIV scandal dies at 59 (26 Sept. 2019)
- UK: Infected Blood Inquiry
- UK Infected Blood Inquiry News:
- USA: Pharmaceutical companies lure Mexicans across U.S. border to donate plasma (4 Oct. 2019)
- Border clinics are the most productive, according to internal Grifols documents While most U.S. centers receive around 1,000 paid donations a week, centers at the border count more than 2,300.
- Jiao C, Zheng L. Blood transfusion-related immunomodulation in patients with major obstetric haemorrhage. Vox Sang. 2019 Oct 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Murphy MF, Jayne Addison J, Poles D, Dhiman P, Bolton-Maggs P. Electronic identification systems reduce the number of wrong components transfused. Transfusion. 2019 Oct 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tai YH,Wu H L, Mandell MS, Tsou MY, Chang KY. The association of allogeneic blood transfusion and the recurrence of hepatic cancer after surgical resection. Anaesthesia 2019. doi:10.1111/anae.14862. (Free full text)
- Canada (CBS): Dr. Jason Acker, recognized for his contributions to the field of cryobiology (19 Sept. 2019) | Centre for Innovation
- Australia: Victims say it's time for UK-style inquiry into Australian tainted blood scandal (3 Oct. 2019)
- Yemen: Arab coalition confirms Sanaa blood bank was bombed by mistake (3 Oct. 2019)
- Canada - Resources (CBS): Clinical Guide to Transfusion | Latest updates:
- Tse E, Khurana R, Clarke G, Sia W. Using anti-Xa level for adjusting intravenous unfractionated heparin infusion in peripartum thromboembolic disease. Obstet Med. 2019 Sep;12(3):146-150. Epub 2018 May 17.
- India: Safe blood starts with altruism (1 Oct. 2019)
- Distler P, Ashford P. Twenty-five years later: has ISBT 128 fulfilled its promise? Transfusion. 2019 Sep 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Malaiyandi DP, Henderson GV, Rubin MA. Transfusion of blood products in the neurocritical care unit: an exploration of rationing and futility.Neurocrit Care. 2018 Jun;28(3):296-301.