What's New - Chronological (October 2020)
- General news: The virus which killed millions and the Nobel prize 2020 (17 Oct. 2020)
- Canada: Transfusion medicine residency training program information from University of British Columbia
- India: Woman transfused HIV+ blood faces social stigma, alleges torture by hubby (17 Oct. 2020)
- India: Blood donation down by 50% in Mumbai due to Covid-19 pandemic (17 Oct. 2020)
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News): Contaminated blood scandal victims prepare for ex-Royal Free doctors to give evidence at inquiry (16 Oct. 2020)
- General news: Johnson and Johnson pauses COVID-19 vaccine trials (13 Oct. 2020)
- General news:COVID-19 diagnostics: How do saliva tests compare to swabs? (9 Oct. 2020)
- Guyane C, Nacher M, Demar M. Prospective comparison of saliva and nasopharyngeal swab sampling for mass screening for COVID-19. Unreviewed preprint medRxiv 2020.09.23.20150961. Epub 2020 Sep 24,
- India: NGO to move HC after Bathinda cops book one blood bank employee for wrong transfusion (11 Oct. 2020) | Probe had indicted three employees for negligence
- USA: BYU-Idaho threatens suspension for students intentionally getting COVID-19 to sell plasma (13 Oct. 2020)
- Garraud O, Vuk T, Lozano M, Tissot JD. Transfusion Medicine: overtime paradigm changes and emerging paradoxes. Transfus Clin Biol. 2020 Oct 6:S1246-7820(20)30122-1. (Journal pre-proof) Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)
- General news: Harvey Alter’s Nobel Prize honors a half-century quest (9 Oct. 2020)
- India: Wrong blood transfusion: Health Department suspends Blood bank employee for gross negligence (9 Oct. 2020)
- Library resource: UK's JPAC Transfusion Handbook 2.4: The ABO system (11 Oct. 2020)
- Delaney M, Apelseth TO, Bonet Bub C, et al; Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. Red-blood-cell alloimmunization and prophylactic antigen matching for transfusion in patients with warm autoantibodies. Vox Sang. 2020 Aug;115(6):515-524. Epub 2020 Apr 6.
- Klein HG. A novel virus transforms blood transfusion. Transfusion. 2020 Oct 7. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)
- Molina-Arrebola MA, Fernández-Guerrero E, Aguirre-Ortega FJ, Avivar-Oyonarte C. Digital resources for transfusion education. J Educ Health Promot. 2020 Jul 28;9:173. (Free full text)
- Warner MA, Kurian EB, Hammel SA, van Buskirk CM, Kor DJ, Stubbs JR. Transition from room-temperature to cold-stored platelets for the preservation of blood inventories during the COVID-19 pandemic. Transfusion. 2020 Oct 8. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)
- Yazer MH, Jackson B, Pagano M, et al. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on hospital transfusion services' response to COVID-19: responses. Vox Sang. 2020 Aug;115(6):e1-e17. (Free Full text)
- General news: Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 awarded jointly to Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice "for the discovery of Hepatitis C virus." The announcement in Stockholm (video)
- General news: The Nobel Prize is a reminder of hepatitis C’s dark history (6 Oct. 2020)
- Selected presentations (blogs) from AABB 2020 (Oct.4-6, 2020)
- Major changes in blood donor screening
- Professional social media is social
- Rooting out the cause of errors
- Yes, we really can reduce human error in transfusion medicine
- Newborn immunohematology testing practices vary significantly throughout the United States and Canada
- AABB Congratulates Harvey J. Alter, MD, Recipient of the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Shah A, Donovan K, McHugh A, et al. Thrombotic and haemorrhagic complications in critically ill patients with COVID-19: a multicentre observational study. Crit Care. 2020 Sep 18;24(1):561. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Why did the cruise leave without me? I only needed a blood transfusion! (3 Oct. 2020) | Unsure when this happened. Written by NPO offering free advice and advocacy for consumers.
- Selected presentations (blogs) from AABB 2020 (3 Oct. 2020)
- India: Udupi's Kasturba Hospital launches 'Rare Blood Donor Registry' (1 Oct. 2020)
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News): Grieving daughter fighting for justice after dad received contaminated blood (3 Oct. 2020)
- USA: Baby with COVID becomes youngest patient to receive experimental convalescent plasma transfusion (1 Oct. 2020)
- Das S, Shastry S, Chakravarthy PK, Baliga PB. Clinical Implication of Immunohaematological Tests in ABO haemolytic disease of newborn: Revisiting an old disease. Transfus Med. 2020 Sep 24. Epub ahead of print.
- Kiely P, Hoad VC, Seed CR, Gosbell IB. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2: implications for blood safety and sufficiency. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 23. Epub ahead of print. (Free access) | PubMed abstract
- Lin M. Elimination of pretransfusion RhD typing at Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taiwan-30-year experience (1988-2017). Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 20. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract
- McLean C, McMillan L, Petrik J, Fraser AR, Morrison A. Cryopreserved platelets and their suitability in being re-suspended in additive solution. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 23. Epub ahead of print.
- McRae HL, Kara F, Milito C, Cahill C, Blumberg N, Refaai MA. Whole blood haemostatic function throughout a 28-day cold storage period: an in vitro study. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 23. Epub ahead of print.
- Owaraganise A, Tibaijuka L, Ngonzi, J. Subacute uterine inversion following an induced abortion in a teenage girl: a case report. BMC Women's Health 20, 220 (2020). Epub 2020 Oct. 2. (Open access)
- Thorpe R, Nguyen L, Masser BM, Van Dyke N, Davison TE. Gone, but haven't forgotten: insights on plasmapheresis donation from lapsed donors. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 23. Epub ahead of print.
- Tyagi A, Gupta A, Dutta A, Potluri P, Batti B. A review of Diamond-Blackfan anemia: current evidence on involved genes and treatment modalities. Cureus. 2020 Aug 25;12(8):e10019. (Free full text)
- Yamamoto F, Yamamoto M, Muñiz-Diaz E. Blood group ABO polymorphism inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection and affects COVID-19 progression. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 23. Epub ahead of print. (Free access) | Pubmed abstract
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News): Doctors were aware of risks of hep C and HIV to haemophiliacs during 1970s and 1980s, inquiry hears (30 Sept. 2020)
- Hu P, Kang J, Li Y, et al. Emergency response to COVID-19 epidemic: One Chinese blood centre's experience. Transfus Med. 2020 Sep 30. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Pandey P, Setya D, Mirza SM, Singh MK. Prospective audit of blood transfusion request forms and continuing medical education to optimise compliance of clinicians in a hospital setting. Transfus Med. 2020 Sep 30. Epub ahead of print. 08.
- Ryan N, Vieira D, Goffman D, et al. Implementation outcomes of policy and programme innovations to prevent obstetric haemorrhage in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review. Health Policy Plan. 2020 Sep 30:czaa074. Epub ahead of print.
- Vijenthira S, Armali C, Downie H, Wilson A, Paton K, Berry B, Wu HX, Robitaille A, Cserti-Gazdewich C, Callum J. Registration errors among patients receiving blood transfusions: a national analysis from 2008 to 2017. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 30. Epub ahead of print.
- Canada (CITF): Final results of initial Canadian SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence study announced (8 Sept. 2020)
- Canada (CBS): BloodTechNet Award Program (Application deadline, 15 Nov. 2020)
- Canada (CBS): Graduate Fellowship Program (Application deadline, 15 Nov. 2020)
- Fingrut W, Cuperfain AB, Chan SWS, et al. Development and evaluation of stem cell collection procedure diagrams to support the education and recruitment of committed stem cell donors. Vox Sang. 2020 Sep 24. Epub ahead of print.
- Healey A, Hartwick M, Downar J, et al; for Canadian Blood Services, the Canadian Critical Care Society, the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses, and the Canadian Society of Palliative Care Physicians. Improving quality of withdrawal of life-sustaining measures in organ donation: a framework and implementation toolkit. Can J Anaesth. 2020 Sep 11. English. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract
- Seghatchian J, Acker JP, Putter JS. Update on newer approaches to prevent or treat COVID-19 infection: What we all need the most right now!! Transfus Apher Sci. 2020 Sep 3:102933. Epub ahead of print. (Free full text)