Monthly Newsletter- May 2021
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
General News | Specific countries | Diseases | Industry News | Resource Library | Journals
Collaborating Site: CSTM
- Infected Blood Inquiry:
- Infected Blood Inquiry - News:
Diseases in the news
- COVID-19: See India, Sri Lanka, USA, and Industry News above.
- HCV: See General news and Australia above
- HCV/HIV: See UK and Industry News above
- Thalassemia: See India and General News above
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues:
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Open access journal: Hematology, Transfusion and Cell Therapy, Journal of the Brasilian Association of Hematology, Hemotherapy and Cell Therapy (ABHH)
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- Open access journal (May 2020): The Lancet Microbe
- Akbiyik A, Sari D, Ta kiran N. Student nurses' assessment of medical errors. Creat Nurs. 2021 May 1;27(2):131-7.
- * Al-Riyami AZ, Burnouf T, Yazer M, et al.; ISBT Convalescent Plasma Group. International Forum on the Collection and Use of COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma: Protocols, Challenges and Lessons Learned: Summary. Vox Sang. 2021 May 20. Epub ahead of print.
- * Al-Riyami AZ, Burnouf T, Yazer M, et al. International Forum on the Collection and Use of COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma: Responses. Vox Sang. 2021 May 20. Epub ahead of print.
- Alshehri AA, Jackson DE. Non-invasive prenatal fetal blood group genotype and its application in the management of hemolytic disease of fetus and newborn: systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfus Med Rev. 2021 Mar 1:S0887-7963(21)00004-3.Epub ahead of print.
- Banchev A, Batorova A, Faganel Kotnik B, et al; Patient Advocacy Group. A cross-national survey of people living with hemophilia: impact on daily living and patient education in central Europe. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2021 Apr 28;15:871-83. | PubMed abstract
- Bansal V, Mahapure KS, Mehra I, et al. Mortality benefit of convalescent plasma in COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021 Apr 9;8:624924.| PubMed abstract
- Becker M, Dulovic A, Junker D, et al. Immune response to SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern in vaccinated individuals. Nat Commun. 2021 May 25;12(1):3109. | PubMed abstract
- Bennett-Guerrero E, Romeiser JL, Talbot LR, et al.; Stony Brook Medicine COVID Plasma Trial Group. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 convalescent plasma versus standard plasma in coronavirus disease 2019 infected hospitalized patients in New York: a double-blind randomized trial. Crit Care Med. 2021 Apr 16. Epub ahead of print.
- Bolcato M, Shander A, Isbister JP, et al. Physician autonomy and patient rights: lessons from an enforced blood transfusion and the role of patient blood management. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 7.Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Chandler T, Neumann-Böhme S, Sabat I, et al. Blood donation in times of crisis: Early insight into the impact of COVID-19 on blood donors and their motivation to donate across European countries. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Delaforce A, Duff J, Munday J, et al. A theoretically informed approach to support the implementation of pre-operative anemia and iron deficiency screening, evaluation, and management pathways: Protocol for a Type Two hybrid-effectiveness study. J Multidiscip Healthc. 2021 May 6;14:1037-44. | PubMed abstract
- Doneda M, Yalçindag S, Marques I, Lanzarone E. A discrete-event simulation model for analysing and improving operations in a blood donation centre. Vox Sang. 2021 May 6. Epub ahead of print.
- Elgendy MM, Durgham R, Othman HF, et al. Platelet transfusion and outcomes of preterm infants: A cross-sectional study. Neonatology. 2021 May 11:1-9. Epub ahead of print.
- Ferguson E. Inequality averse and compassionate blood donor: implication for interventions. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Focosi D, Moscato G, Pistello M, Maggi F. Kinetics of anti-SARS-COV2 spike protein IgG and IgA antibodies at 4°C: Implications for convalescent plasma stability. (Letter to editor) Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 25. Epub ahead of print.
- Garzon Jimenez RC, Lieshout-Krikke RW, Janssen MP. West Nile virus and blood transfusion safety: A European perspective. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 26. Epub ahead of print.
- * Germain M, Grégoire Y, Custer BS,et al; BEST Collaborative. An international comparison of HIV prevalence and incidence in blood donors and general population: a BEST Collaborative study. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print.
- Gilchrist PT, Thijsen A, Masser BM, et al. Improving the donation experience and reducing venipuncture pain by addressing fears among whole-blood and plasma donors. Transfusion. 2021 Apr 26. Epub ahead of print.
- * Goldman M, Uzicanin S, Marquis-Boyle L, O'Brien SF. Implementation of measures to reduce vasovagal reactions: Donor participation and results. Transfusion. 2021 Apr 20. Epub ahead of print.
- * Hadjesfandiari N, Khorshidfar M, Devine DV. Current understanding of the relationship between blood donor variability and blood component quality. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Apr 11;22(8):3943.| PubMed abstract
- Halford B, Pinheiro A, Haspel RL. Hospital medicine providers' transfusion knowledge: a survey study. Transfus Med Rev. 2021 Apr 20:S0887-7963(21)00011-0. Epub ahead of print.
- Hands K, Taylor C, Kotzé A, Richards T, Narayan S; A British Society for Haematology Good Practice Paper. Preoperative patient blood management during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Br J Haematol. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print.
- Hu L, Wang B, Jiang Y, et al. Risk factors for transfusion-related acute lung injury. (Review) Respir Care. 2021 Jun;66(6):1029-38. Epub 2021 Mar 27.
- Jia S, Chen J, Wen J, et al. Serological screening and genetic analysis of RhCE variants in the Chinese Southern Han donors. Transfus Med. 2021 May 16. Epub ahead of print.
- Kracalik I, Mowla S, Katz L, et al. Impact of the early COVID-19 pandemic on blood utilization in the United States: a time-series analysis of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module. Transfusion. 2021 May 14. Epub ahead of print.
- Kriegsmann K, Pavel P, Bochtler T, et al. Cryostorage to what end? - Autologous stem cell products in Burkitt lymphoma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and myeloproliferative neoplasm patients. Transfus Med Hemother. 2021 Mar;48(2):91-8. Epub 2020 Sep 15.
- Leentjens J, van Haaps TF, Wessels PF, et al. COVID-19-associated coagulopathy and antithrombotic agents-lessons after 1 year. Lancet Haematol. 2021 Apr 27:S2352-3026(21)00105-8. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- * Lewin A, Drews SJ, Lieshout-Krikke R, et al; Surveillance, Risk Assessment, Policy, the Virology Sub-groups of the ISBT Transfusion Transmitted Infectious Diseases Working Party. An international comparison of anti-SARS-COV-2 assays used for seroprevalence surveys from blood component providers. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 29. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Liu AP, Cheuk DK. Disease-modifying treatments for primary autoimmune haemolytic anaemia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Mar 26;3(3):CD012493.
- * Martinaud C, Scorer T, Lozano M, et al. International Forum on Walking Blood Bank Programmes: Summary. Vox Sang. 2021 May 3. Epub ahead of print. Related:
- Moore EE, Moore HB, Kornblith LZ, et al. Trauma-induced coagulopathy. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Apr 29;7(1):30.
- Mowla SJ, Kracalik IT, Sapiano MRP, et al. A comparison of transfusion-related adverse reactions among apheresis platelets, whole blood-derived platelets, and platelets subjected to pathogen reduction technology as reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module. Transfus Med Rev. 2021 Apr 2:S0887-7963(21)00007-9. Epub ahead of print.
- Nagiria VR, Vince JD, Duke T. Living with thalassaemia in Papua New Guinea, the experience of children, adolescents and their families. J Paediatr Child Health. 2021 May 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Nsofwa A. From working in the corporate world to nursing to advocacy. Lancet Haematol. 2021 May 11:S2352-3026(21)00138-1. Epub ahead of print. (Free, requires registering)
- Petersen JM, Patel V, Jhala D. Highly effective model for implementation of in-house platelets in a tertiary veteran Hospital setting without a trauma center. Lab Med. 2020 Sep 1;51(5):e51-e58.
- RECOVERY Collaborative Group. Convalescent plasma in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (RECOVERY): a randomised controlled, open-label, platform trial. Lancet. 2021 May 14:S0140-6736(21)00897-7. Epub ahead of print. |
- Simtong P, Sudwilai Y, Cheunta S, et al. Prevalence of leucocyte antibodies in non-transfused male and female platelet apheresis donors. Transfus Med. 2021 May 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Sinha R, Hakendorf P, Sobieraj-Teague M, Roxby D. Anaemia in elderly patients at discharge from intensive care and hospital. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 18. Epub ahead of print.
- Sørensen K, Baevre MS, Tomter G, et al. The Norwegian experience with nationwide implementation of fetal RHD genotyping and targeted routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr 5. Epub ahead of print.
- Taeuber I, Weibel S, Herrmann E, et al. Association of intravenous tranexamic acid with thromboembolic events and mortality: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. JAMA Surg. 2021 Apr 14:e210884. Epub ahead of print.
- Trigoso E, Ruiz J, Kenyon M, Murray J. Global collaboration led by the EBMT Nurses Group. Lancet Haematol. 2021 May 11:S2352-3026(21)00133-2. Epub ahead of print. (Free, requires registering)
- Tworek A, Jaro K, Uszy ska-Ka u a B, et al. Convalescent plasma treatment is associated with lower mortality and better outcomes in high-risk COVID-19 patients - propensity-score matched case-control study. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Apr;105:209-215. Epub 2021 Feb 16. | PubMed abstract
- * Veillette-Bourbeau L, Otis J, Lewin A, et al. Determinants of the intention to participate in a programme of plasma donation for fractionation among men who have sex with men. Vox Sang. 2021 May 4. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Velavan TP, Pallerla SR, Johne R, et al. Hepatitis E: an update on One Health and clinical medicine. (Review) Liver Int. 2021 May 7. Epub ahead of print.
- * Wheeler AP, Delaney M, Fung M, et al; BEST-TEST3 Investigators. Pediatric resident knowledge of transfusion medicine: Results from the BEST-TEST3 international education needs assessment. Transfusion. 2021 May 10. Epub ahead of print.
- * William N, Acker JP. High sub-zero organ preservation: a paradigm of nature-inspired strategies. Cryobiology. 2021 Apr 24:S0011-2240(21)00074-2. Epub ahead of print.
- Yonemura S, Hartson L, Dutt TS, et al. Preservation of neutralizing antibody function in COVID-19 convalescent plasma treated using a riboflavin and ultraviolet light-based pathogen reduction technology. Vox Sang. 2021 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print. (Open access) | PubMed abstract