Monthly Newsletter- March 2021
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
General News | Specific countries | Diseases | Industry News | Resource Library | Journals
Collaborating Site: CSTM
Diseases in the news
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues:
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Open access journal: Hematology, Transfusion and Cell Therapy, Journal of the Brasilian Association of Hematology, Hemotherapy and Cell Therapy (ABHH)
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- Open access journal (May 2020): The Lancet Microbe
- Abbasi S, McClune B, Abdallah A-O, et al. Hospitalization at the end of life in myeloma patients: lessons from the National Inpatient Sample (Oral abstract, ASH Meeting Dec. 5-8, 2020)
- Alsharidah AS, Alsuhaibani HA, Almansour BS, Alsharidah MS. Perceptions about blood transfusion therapy among the general public and healthcare professionals in the Qassim region of Saudi Arabia. J Blood Med. 2021;12:139-45.
- Babu T, Mathew Panachiyil G, Sebastian J, Dhati Ravi M. Prescribing patterns and drug-related problems (DRPs) in transfusion-dependent paediatric thalassemia patients: A prospective interventional study from a tertiary care hospital in India. Int J Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2021 Mar;8(1):35-8. Epub 2020 Jan 7. | PubMed abstract
- Barki-Harrington L, Baron-Epel O, Shaulov A, et al. Willingness and concerns of transfusion-dependent hematological patients toward the option of home transfusion therapy. Palliat Med. 2021 Mar 24:2692163211000634. Epub ahead of print.
- Bediako AA, Ofosu-Poku R, Druye AA. Safe blood transfusion practices among nurses in a major referral center in Ghana. Adv Hematol. 2021 Mar 2;2021:6739329. | PubMed abstract
- Bubinski M, Gronowska A, Szykula P, et al. Plasma pooling in combination with amotosalen/UVA pathogen inactivation to increase standardisation and safety of therapeutic plasma units.Transfus Med. 2021 Mar 8. Epub ahead of print.
- Chapalain X, Ozier Y, Le Niger C, et al. Is there an optimal trade-off between anaemia and red blood cell transfusion in surgical critically ill patients after oncologic surgery? Vox Sang. 2021 Jan 25. Epub ahead of print.
- Chowdhary A, Sharma A. The lurking scourge of multidrug resistant Candida auris in times of COVID-19 pandemic. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2020 Sep;22:175-6. Epub 2020 Jun 12. | PubMed abstract
- Clement M, Shehu E, Chandler T. The impact of temporary deferrals on future blood donation behavior across the donor life cycle. Transfusion. 2021 Mar 29. Epub ahead of print.
- * Cooper N, Kruse A, Kruse C, et al. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) World Impact Survey (iWISh): Patient and physician perceptions of diagnosis, signs and symptoms, and treatment. Am J Hematol. 2021 Feb 1;96(2):188-98. Epub 2020 Dec 19. | PubMed abstract
- * Cooper N, Kruse A, Kruse C, et al. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) World Impact Survey (I-WISh): Impact of ITP on health-related quality of life. Am J Hematol. 2021 Feb 1;96(2):199-207. Epub 2020 Dec 19. | PubMed abstract
- Dalmazzo LFF, de Almendra Freitas AF, Alves BE, et al. Transfusion profile, clinical characteristics, comorbidities and outcomes of 3014 hospitalized patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in Brazil. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 26. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- de Freitas Dutra V, Bonet-Bub C, Yokoyama APH, et al. Anti-A and SARS-CoV-2: an intriguing association. Vox Sang. 2021 Mar 2. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Dinnes J, Deeks JJ, Adriano A, et al; Cochrane COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group. Rapid, point-of-care antigen and molecular-based tests for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020 Aug 26;8:CD013705. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Mar 24;3:CD013705. | PubMed abstract
- Haghpanah S, Miladi S, Zamani A, et al. A cost-analysis study of using adult red cell packs and Pedi-Packs in newborn intensive care units in Southern Iran. Cost Eff Resour Alloc. 2021 Mar 6;19(1):15.
- Hoad VC, Serhan G, Seed CR, et al. Endoscopies, blood-borne viruses and blood donors: time to move on from precaution. Vox Sang 2021;116(3): 336-41. Epub 2020 Oct 26.
- Jogi IE, Mohanan N, Nedungalaparambil NM. Bedside blood transfusion - what nurses know and perform: a cross-sectional study from a tertiary-level cancer hospital in rural Kerala. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs. 2021 Jan 29;8(2):197-203. | PubMed abstract
- Jones AD, Moayeri M, Nambiar A. Impact of new myeloma agents on the transfusion laboratory. Pathology. 2021 Mar 8:S0031-3025(21)00042-8. Epub ahead of print.
- Kostin AI, Lundgren MN, Bulanov AY, et al. Impact of pathogen reduction methods on immunological properties of the COVID-19 convalescent plasma. Vox Sang. 2021 Mar 18. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Liu H, Liu L, Zhang J, et al. A survey of laboratory biosafety and protective measures in blood transfusion departments during the COVID-19 pandemic. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 2. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Loua A, Kasilo OMJ, Nikiema JB, et al. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on blood supply and demand in the WHO African Region. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 2. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Maghsudlu M, Eshghi P, Amini Kafi-Abad S, et al. Blood supply sufficiency and safety management in Iran during the COVID-19 outbreak. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb;116(2):175-180. Epub 2020 Sep 30. | PubMed abstract
- Matusovits A, Nagy S, Baróti-Tóth K, et al. National level adjustments to the challenges of the SARS-CoV2 pandemic on blood banking operations. Transfusion. 2021 Mar 1. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- * McVey MJ, Cohen R, Arsenault V, et al. Frequency and timing of all-cause deaths in visits involving suspected transfusion reactions, and the significance of cardiopulmonary disturbances. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 26. Epub ahead of print.
- Mishra KK, Patel K, Trivedi A, et al. Risk of hepatitis-E virus infections among blood donors in a regional blood transfusion centre in western India. Transfus Med. 2021 Mar 18. Epub ahead of print.
- Mitra B, Bernard S, Gantner D, et al.; PATCH-Trauma Study investigators. Protocol for a multicentre prehospital randomised controlled trial investigating tranexamic acid in severe trauma: the PATCH-Trauma trial. BMJ Open. 2021 Mar 15;11(3):e046522. | PubMed abstract
- Montemayor C, Simone A, Long J, et al. An open-source python library for detection of known and novel Kell, Duffy and Kidd variants from exome sequencing. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 10. Epub ahead of print.
- Nozaki I, Aung T, Oo NN, et al. Enhancing the blood safety program in Myanmar: Report on projects of global extension of medical technologies of Japan. Glob Health Med. 2021 Feb 28;3(1):48-51. | PubMed abstract
- * O’Brien SF, Ullum H, Seed CR. Themed issue – focusing on donor assessment, motivation and vigilance. (Editorial) Vox Sang 2021;116(3): 257-9.
- Okuno T, Kunisawa S, Fushimi K, Imanaka Y. Intra-operative autologous blood donation for cardiovascular surgeries in Japan: A retrospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2021 Mar 10;16(3):e0247282. | PubMed abstract
- Osikomaiya B, Erinoso O, Wright KO, et al. 'Long COVID': persistent COVID-19 symptoms in survivors managed in Lagos State, Nigeria. BMC Infect Dis. 2021 Mar 25;21(1):304.
- Pati I, Velati C, Mengoli C, et al. A forecasting model to estimate the drop in blood supplies during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in Italy. Transfus Med. 2021 Mar 10. Epub ahead of print.
- Patidar GK, Land KJ, Vrielink H, et al. Understanding the role of therapeutic plasma exchange in COVID-19: preliminary guidance and practices. Vox Sang. 2021 Mar 17. Epub ahead of print. |
- Putter JS, Seghatchian J. Polycythaemia vera: molecular genetics, diagnostics and therapeutics. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 26. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- * Rambiritch V, Vermeulen M, Bell H, et al; on behalf of the Education Subcommittee of the AABB Global Transfusion Forum. Transfusion medicine and blood banking education and training for blood establishment laboratory staff: A review of selected countries in Africa. Transfusion. 2021 Mar 19. Epub ahead of print.
- Ree IMC, Besuden CFJ, Wintjens VEHJ, et al. Exchange transfusions in severe Rh-mediated alloimmune haemolytic disease of the foetus and newborn: a 20-year overview on the incidence, associated risks and outcome. Vox Sang. 2021 Mar 17. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Sadana D, Kummangal B, Moghekar A, et al. Adherence to blood product transfusion guidelines-An observational study of the current transfusion practice in a medical intensive care unit. Transfus Med. 2021 Mar 21. Epub ahead of print.
- Schwab ME, Schmidt CN, Gonzalez-Velez JM, Bakhtary S. Racial/ethnic disparities among women receiving intrauterine transfusions for alloimmunization at a single fetal treatment center. Transfusion. 2021 Mar 21. Epub ahead of print.
- Seidler AL, Gyte GML, Rabe H, et al; International Liaison Committee On Resuscitation Neonatal Life Support Task Force. Umbilical Cord Management for Newborns <34 Weeks' Gestation: A Meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2021 Mar;147(3):e20200576.
- Self WH, Stewart TG, Wheeler AP,et al; Passive Immunity Trial for Our Nation (PassITON) Investigators. Passive immunity trial for our nation (PassITON): study protocol for a randomized placebo-control clinical trial evaluating COVID-19 convalescent plasma in hospitalized adults. Trials. 2021 Mar 20;22(1):221. | PubMed abstract
- Stock B, Möckel L. Characterization of blood donors and non-blood donors in Germany using an online survey. Health Technol (Berl). 2021 Mar 2:1-8. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Sudre CH, Murray B, Varsavsky T, et al. Attributes and predictors of long COVID. Nat Med. 2021 Mar 10. Epub ahead of print. | PubMed abstract
- Tanaka A, Yokohama A, Fujiwara SI, et al. Transfusion-associated circulatory overload and high blood pressure: A multicentre retrospective study in Japan. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 2. Epub ahead of print.
- Ünlü A, Y lmaz S, Akbasli IT, et al. MATRA-A: A study on massive transfusion. Vox Sang. 2021 Feb 26. Epub ahead of print.
- Yang Y, Wang Z, Wang F, et al. Prospective, randomised, controlled study on the efficacy and safety of different strategies of tranexamic acid with total blood loss, blood transfusion rate and thrombogenic biomarkers in total knee arthroplasty: study protocol. BMJ Open. 2021 Feb 26;11(2):e038399. | PubMed abstract