TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
General News | Specific countries | Diseases | Industry News | Resource Library | Journals
Collaborating Site: CSTM
Diseases in the news
- HCV/HIV: See UK above (Infected Blood Inquiry)
- Novel coronavirus (CoVID-19): See General, Canada, India, Indonesia, UK, USA, Industry News above , and Journals below.
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues:
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- New open access journal (May 2020): The Lancet Microbe
- Adams PW, Warren KA, Guyette FX, et al. Implementation of a prehospital air medical thawed plasma program: Is it even feasible? J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019;87(5):1077 -81.
- Ali SA, Tesfaghiorghis YK, Tesema MT, Achila OO. Met and unmet blood demand, recipients profiles and associated trends in Eritrea. Transfus Med. 2020;10.1111/tme.12682. Epub 2020 May 11.
- Barry C, Edmonston TB, Gandhi S, Ganti K, Kim N, Bierl C. Implementation of laboratory review of test builds within the electronic health record reduces errors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020 June;144(6): 742-7.
- Becker RC. COVID-19 update: Covid-19-associated coagulopathy. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020 May. Epub 15 May 2020.
- Blanco S, Carrizo LH, Moyano RW, Mangeaud A, Gallego SV. Gender-neutral donor deferral policies: experience in Argentina implementing individual risk-assessment policies. Vox Sang. 2020 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Böttcher S, van der Velden VHJ, Villamor N, Ritgen M, Flores-Montero J, Escobar HM, et al. Lot-to-lot stability of antibody reagents for flow cytometry. J Immunol Methods. 2019 Dec;475:112294. Epub 2017 Mar 30.
- Bruhin A, Goette L, Haenni S, Jiang L, Markovic A, Roethlisberger A, et al. The sting of rejection: deferring blood donors due to low hemoglobin values reduces future returns. Transfus Med Hemother. 2020 Apr;47(2):119-28. Epub 2019 May 27.
- Bruhn R, et al; NHLBI Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation Study (REDS)-III Program. Early and sustained improvement in fatigue-related quality of life following red blood cell transfusion in outpatients. Qual Life Res. 2020 May 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Clarke G, et al. Vox Sanguinis International forum on the selection and preparation of blood components for intrauterine transfusion. Vox Sang. 2020 May 12. Online ahead of print.
- Dzik S. COVID-19 convalescent plasma: now is the time for better science.Transfus Med Rev. 2020 Apr 23. pii: S0887-7963(20)30026-2.
- Epstein J, Smid M, Wendel S, Somuah D, Burnouf T. Use of COVID-19 convalescent plasma in low- and middle-income countries: a call for ethical principles and the assurance of quality and safety. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12964. Epub 2020 May 28/
- Epstein J, Burnouf T. Points to consider in the preparation and transfusion of COVID-19 convalescent plasma. (Commentary) Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12939. [Epub 2020 Apr 22]
- Gammon RR. The importance of PBM metrics (AABB, April 2020)
- Gehrie EA, Rutter SJ, Snyder EL. Pathogen reduction: the state of the science in 2019. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2019;33(5):749-66. | PubMed abstract
- Gouache E, Py JY, Hérault B, Saliba E, Favrais G. Are single-donor red blood cell transfusions still relevant for preterm infants? J Perinatol. (Epub 28 Apr. 2020)
- * Goldman M, Butler-Foster T, Lapierre D, O'Brien SF, Devor A. Trans people and blood donation. Transfusion. 2020 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Helms J, et al; Clinical Research in Intensive Care and Sepsis Trial Group for Global Evaluation and Research in Sepsis. High risk of thrombosis in patients with severe SARS-CoV-2 infection: a multicenter prospective cohort study. Intensive Care Med. 03 May 2020.
- Hult A, Toss F, Malm C, Oldenborg P-A. Invitro phagocytosis of liquid-stored red blood cells requires serum and can be inhibited with fucoidan and dextran sulphate. Vox Sang 2020 Apr 29.
- Hussaini SMQ. Dearth of infectious diseases physicians as the USA faces a global pandemic. Lancet Infect Dis. Epub 7 May 2020.
- Kacker S, Bloch EM, Ness PM, Gehrie EA, Marshall CE, Lokhandwala PM, Tobian AAR. Financial impact of alternative approaches to reduce bacterial contamination of platelet transfusions. Transfusion. 2019 Apr;59(4):1291-9. Epub 2019 Jan. 8
- Katalinic N, Starcevic A, Mavrinac M, Vuk T, Balen S. Non-conformities in tissue typing laboratory: Croatian experience. Transfus Med. 2019 Dec;29(6):442-7. Epub 2019 Oct 17.
- Keil SD, Ragan I, Yonemura S, Hartson L, Dart NK, Bowen R. Inactivation of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 in plasma and platelet products using a riboflavin and ultraviolet light-based photochemical treatment. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12937. [Epub 2020 Apr 20].
- Knee D, Knoop S, Davis AT, Rawson B, DiCarlo A, Olivero R. Outcomes after implementing restrictive blood transfusion criteria in extremely premature infants. J Perinatol. 2019;39(8):1089-97.
- Langi Sasongko PKB, van den Hurk K, Thijssen-Timmer DC. Blood supply milestones in the Netherlands in the first weeks of COVID-19. (Letter) ISBT Sci Ser. Epub 3 May 2020.
- * Lee SG, Fralick M, Sholzberg M. Coagulopathy associated with COVID-19. CMAJ 2020; early-released May 1, 2020.
- Li J, Wang X, Chen J, Cai Y, Deng A, Yang M. Association between ABO blood groups and risk of SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia. (Letter) Br J Haematol. 2020 May 7. Online ahead of print. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Liao A, Burgess M, Barritt-Eyles R, Trompf L, Crispin P. Perceptions on consumer information in transfusion. A qualitative study of consumers and prescribers. Vox Sang. 2020 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Melzak KA, Muth M, Kirschhöfer F, Brenner-Weiss G, Bieback K. Lipid ratios as a marker for red blood cell storage quality and as a possible explanation for donor gender differences in storage quality. Vox Sang. 2020 May 6. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- * Mithoowani S, Cervi A, Shah N, Ejaz R, Sirotich E, Barty R, et al. Management of major bleeds in patients with immune thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Haemost. 2020 Mar 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Nensi A, et al. Impact of a “blood conservation bundle” checklist on perioperative transfusion rates during myomectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2020. Epub 18 May 2020.
- Obi EI, Pughikumo OC, Korubo KI, Ejele AO. Prevalence of clinically significant antibodies in patients undergoing elective surgery in a Nigerian teaching hospital: a case for the type and screen method. Niger J Clin Pract. 2020 Feb;23(2):138-46.
- O'Sullivan JM, Ward S, Fogarty H, O'Donnell JS. More on "Association between ABO blood groups and risk of SARS-CoV-2 Pneumonia". (Letter) Br J Haematol. 2020;10.1111/bjh.16845. Epub 2020 May 18.
- Ragan I, Hartson L, Pidcoke H, Bowen R, Goodrich R. Pathogen reduction of SARS-CoV-2 virus in plasma and whole blood using riboflavin and UV light. PLoS One. 2020;15(5):e0233947. Epub 2020 May 29.
- Riveira MC, Fredrickson TA, Iha BR, Mitchell SH, White NJ, Arbabi S, Hess JR. Improving emergency department blood product use through nursing education. Transfusion. 2020 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Roberts DJ. Life in times of COVID-19. (Editorial) Transfus Med 2020. Epub 13 May 2020.
- Saravanan L, Ormerod A. Transfusion support in mass casualty events: lessons for hospital and pathology preparedness from the Bourke Street Mall incident. [Epub 2020 May 24]. Med J Aust. 2020;10.5694/mja2.50611.
- Shakor SQ, Salih HS. Blood transfusion knowledge and practices among nurses in Kirkuk city hospitals. Mosul J Nursing 2020;8,(1): 18-28.
- Sward LB, McKelvey SS, Pollack SL, Badger PD, Ounpraseuth ST, Cottler-Fox M. A hands-on resident umbilical cord blood educational curriculum compared to online education of post-residency obstetricians: comparison of the volume of collected cord blood units. Transfusion. 2019;59(6):2150-4.
- Valk SJ, Piechotta V, Chai KL, et al. Convalescent plasma or hyperimmune immunoglobulin for people with COVID-19: a rapid review. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020;5:CD013600. Published 2020 May 14.
- Vasavda C, Ho BK, Snyder SH. Ease restrictions on U.S. blood donations. (Letter) Science 2020 May 29;368(6494): 957.
- Wang Y, Han W, Pan L, Wang C, Liu Y, Hu W, et al. Impact of COVID-19 on blood centres in Zhejiang province China. Vox Sang. 2020 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Yazer MH, et al. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on Transfusion Services about Response to COVID-19.Vox Sang. 2020 May 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Yazer MH, Shaz B, Seheult JN, Apelseth TO, de Korte D, Devin G, et al. Trends in platelet distributions from 2008 to 2017: a survey of twelve national and regional blood collectors. Vox Sang. 2020 Apr 13. [Epub ahead of print]