TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
- New TM blog: You don't own me (Musings on questioning Dr. orders)
- China: Antiviral drug, plasma transfusions show promise in treating COVID-19| Related:
- UK (Brit Med J): Special edition on Racism in Medicine
- Understanding Transfusion for Beta-Thalassemia (6:04 min video, HCPLive Peer Exchange)
- WHO and FIND formalize strategic collaboration to drive universal access to essential diagnostics (10 Feb. 2020)
- New device identifies high-quality blood donors (UBC, 4 Feb. 2020)
- Digital therapeutics (DTx), a growing trend in life sciences technology (Dark Daily, 27 Jan. 2020)
- USA: LabCorp security lapse exposed thousands of medical documents with sensitive health data (28 Jan. 2020)
- ASH Clinical Practice Guidelines on Sickle Cell Disease (27 Jan. 2019) | Related:
- Featured articles on student errors in healthcare
- Farinre B. Mistakes happen. Alleviating the emotional impact of medical errors on healthcare staff. (oped) The Pathologist, 18 Dec. 2019.
- Students have a key role in a culture of safety:a multi-incident analysis of student-associated medication incidents. ISMP Canada Safety Bulletin 2018 Feb 28; 18(2):1-3.
- Beck JB, McGrath C, Toncray K, Rooholamini SN. Failure is an option: using errors as teaching opportunities. Pediatrics. 2018 Mar;141(3). pii: e20174222. Epub 2018 Feb 13.
- Disch J, Barnsteiner J, Connor S, Brogren F. Exploring how nursing schools handle student errors and near misses. Am J Nurs. 2017 Oct;117(10):24-31.
- Barnsteiner J, Disch J. Creating a fair and just culture in schools of nursing. Am J Nurs. 2017 Nov;117(11):42-8.
- Elmqvist KO, Rigaudy MT, Vink JP. Creating a no-blame culture through medical education: a UK perspective. J Multidiscip Healthc. 2016 Aug 8;9:345-6. eCollection 2016.
- Hernandez JS. Responding to laboratory errors. How not to lose your cool. Clin Lab News, 1 OCT. 2012
- Error-prone conditions that lead to student nurse-related errors. (ISMP, 18 Oct. 2007)
- Scotland: Aberfeldy blood donation service closes (21 Feb. 2020)
- SNBTS spokesperson: “Savings generated...can be reinvested in new technologies and new services, as well as modernising and improving our existing services."
- Infected Blood Inquiry: Expert reports published (4 Feb. 2020):
- Infected Blood Inquiry - News:
Diseases in the news
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: See USA above
- HBV/HCV: See India above
- HCV: See Pakistan above
- HCV/HIV: See UK above (Infected Blood Inquiry)
- HTLV-I/HTLV-II: See USA above
- Novel coronavirus (2019 nCoV): See Australia, Canada, USA, Vietnam above
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- Transfusion Evidence Alert (Jan. 2020, 10 new articles)
- Adkins BD, Arnold Egloff SA, Fahey-Ahrndt K, Kjell AL, Cohn CS, Young PP. An exploration of the advantages of automated titration testing: low inter-instrument variability and equivalent accuracy for ABO and non-ABO antibody titres relative to tube testing. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bahr TM, Shakib JH, Stipelman CH, Kawamoto K, Cail K, Lauer S, Christensen RD. Improving the bilirubin management program in the newborn nursery: background, aims, and protocol. Neonatology. 2020 Feb 7:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cai B, Said Q, Li X, Li FY, Arcona S. Healthcare costs and resource utilization in patients with severe aplastic anemia in the US. J Med Econ. 2019 Oct;22(10):1055-62. Epub 2019 Aug 4.
- * Cen SY, Holton MB, Binnington B, Denomme GA, Howie HL, Lebedev JN, et al. IgG3 anti-Kell allotypic variation results in differential antigen binding and phagocytosis. Transfusion. 2020 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Dhesi AS, Moss R, Deelen R, O'Reilly C, Bielby L. A survey of transfusion practitioners in international society of blood transfusion member countries. Vox Sang. 2020 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Doudna JA. The promise and challenge of therapeutic genome editing. Nature. 2020 Feb;578(7794):229-36. Epub 2020 Feb 12.
- * Farrell M, Clarke G, Barr G, Hannon J. Monitoring of prenatal patients using a combined antibody titre for Rh and non-Rh antibodies. Transfus Med. 2020 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fisher A, Wallis S, Hassall O, Martin R, Bates I. Collaborations on blood transfusion research in sub-Saharan Africa: who, what and where. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- Goel A, Vijay HJ, Katiyar H, Aggarwal R. Prevalence of hepatitis E viraemia among blood donors: a systematic review. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 6. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- Gottschall J, et al; NHLBI Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation (REDS-III) Study. The epidemiology of platelet transfusions: an analysis of platelet use at 12 US hospitals. Transfusion. 2020 Jan;60(1):46-53. Epub 2019 Dec 18.
- * Halpin AM, Nahirniak S, Campbell PM, Urschel S, Kim DH, West L, et al. HLA alloimmunization following ventricular assist device support across the age spectrum. Transplantation. 2019 Dec;103(12):2715-24.
- Hartenbach EM, Kuo HD, Greene MZ, Shrider EA, Antony KM, Ehrenthal DB. Peripartum blood transfusion among rural women in the United States. Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Mar;135(3):685-95.
- Hensley NB, Frank SM, Prochaska MT. Intraoperative transfusion targets: avoiding the extremes. Anesth Analg. 2019 Sep;129(3):642-3.
- * Honarmand K, Parsons Leigh J, Basmaji J, Martin CM, Sibbald R, Nagpal D, et al. Attitudes of healthcare providers towards cardiac donation after circulatory determination of death: a Canadian nation-wide survey. Can J Anaesth. 2020 Mar;67(3):301-12. Epub 2020 Jan 2.
- Irving AH, Harris A, Petrie D, Mortimer D, Ghijben P, Higgins A, McQuilten Z3. A systematic review and network meta-analysis of incentive- and non-incentive-based interventions for increasing blood donations. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Islamzada E, Matthews K, Guo Q, Santoso AT, Duffy SP, Scott MD, Ma H. Deformability based sorting of stored red blood cells reveals donor-dependent aging curves. Lab Chip. 2020 Jan 21;20(2):226-235. Epub 2019 Dec 4.
- Lelie N, Vermeulen M, van Drimmelen H, Coleman C, Bruhn R, Reddy R, Busch M, Kleinman S. Direct comparison of three residual risk models for hepatitis B virus window period infections using updated input parameters. Vox Sang. 2020 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- Lim Z, Bentley P, Olynyk JK. Ensuring donor safety: is venesecting therapeutic donors to haemoglobin levels below Blood Service guidelines safe? Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Machado AAV, Negrão FJ, Croda J, de Medeiros ES, Pires MADS. Safety and costs of blood transfusion practices in dengue cases in Brazil. PLoS One. 2019 Jul 8;14(7):e0219287. eCollection 2019.
- * Manara A, Shemie SD, Large S, Healey A, Baker A, Badiwala M, et al. Maintaining the permanence principle for death during in situ normothermic regional perfusion for donation after circulatory death organ recovery: A United Kingdom and Canadian proposal. Am J Transplant. 2020 Jan 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mousavi SH, Tabibian S, Motlagh H, Dorgalaleh A. Hemophilia A in Afghanistan, the first report. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2019 Oct;30(7):357-60.
- Novis DA, Nelson S, Blond BJ, Guidi AJ, Talbert ML, Mix P, Perrotta PL. Laboratory staff turnover: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of 23 clinical laboratories. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020 Mar;144(3):350-5.Epub 2019 Jul 17. | PubMed abstract
- Quinn B, Pearson R, Cutts J, Seed C, Scott N, Hoad V, et al. Blood donation amongst people who inject drugs in Australia: research supporting policy change. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Runkel B, Bein G, Sieben W, Sow D, Polus S, Fleer D. Targeted antenatal anti-D prophylaxis for RhD-negative pregnant women: a systematic review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020 Feb 7;20(1):83:1-10.
- Scheiblauer H, Heiden M, Funk M, Oberle D, Kreß J, Jork C, Chudy M. Detection of hepatitis B virus infection in German blood donors 2008-2015. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- Swart N, Morris S, Murphy MF. Economic value of clinical decision support allied to direct data feedback to clinicians: blood usage in haematology. Vox Sang. 2020 Feb 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Unal A, Intepeler SS. Medical error reporting software program development and its impact on pediatric units' reporting medical errors. Pak J Med Sci. 2020 Jan-Feb;36(2):10-5.
- * Walker I, et al; Cell Therapy Transplant Canada. Addition of anti-thymocyte globulin to standard graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis versus standard treatment alone in patients with haematological malignancies undergoing transplantation from unrelated donors: final analysis of a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematol. 2020 Feb;7(2):e100-e111. Epub 2020 Jan 17. | Correction to Lancet Haematol 2020;7: e100–11
- Wild H, Stewart BT, LeBoa C, Stave CD, Wren SM. Epidemiology of injuries sustained by civilians and local combatants in contemporary armed conflict: an appeal for a shared trauma registry among humanitarian actors. World J Surg. 2020 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wood EM, Ang AL, Bisht A, Bolton-Maggs PH, Bokhorst AG, Flesland O, et al. International haemovigilance: what have we learned and what do we need to do next? Transfus Med. 2019 Aug;29(4):221-30. Epub 2019 Feb 6.
- Yao RQ, Ren C, Zhang ZC, Zhu YB, Xia ZF, Yao YM. Is haemoglobin below 7.0 g/dL an optimal trigger for allogenic red blood cell transfusion in patients admitted to intensive care units? A meta-analysis and systematic review. BMJ Open. 2020 Feb 5;10(2):e030854.
- * Zalpuri S, Romeijn B, Allara E, Goldman M, Kamel H, Gorlin J,et al; BEST Collaborative Study Group. Variations in hemoglobin measurement and eligibility criteria across blood donation services are associated with differing low-hemoglobin deferral rates: a BEST Collaborative study. Transfusion. 2020 Feb 8. [Epub ahead of print]