TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
- TM blog: Bridge Over Troubled Water (Musings on how to prevent burnout in transfusion professionals)
- AABB: Interim Standards to 31st ed. of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services (13 Dec. 2019, Association Bulletin #19-03)
- Global platelet-rich plasma market valued at $195.2m USD in 2017 projected to expand at a CAGR of 12.0% from 2018 to 2026| CAGR: Compound annual growth rate (3 Dec. 2019)
- Big Pharma money does influence what doctors prescribe, report finds (20 Dec. 2019)
- Brit Med J launches global campaign to separate medicine from Big Pharma (4 Dec. 2019)
- Canadian tissue banks ready to help victims of NZ volcanic eruption (13 Dec 2019)
- Scientists visualize competition between healthy, dysfunctional platelets (12 Dec. 2019)
- Fresh red blood cell transfusions do not help critically ill children more than older cells (10 Dec. 2019)
- Spinella PC, Tucci M, Fergusson DA, Lacroix J, Hébert PC, Leteurtre S, et al.; ABC-PICU Investigators, the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group, the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators Network, the BloodNet Pediatric Critical Care Blood Research Network, and the Groupe Francophone de Réanimation et Urgences P. Effect of fresh vs standard-issue red blood cell transfusions on multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in critically ill pediatric patients: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2019 Dec 10; 322(22):2179-90.
- Infected Blood Inquiry - NEWS:
Diseases in the news
- See UK above (Infected Blood Inquiry)
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- Abstracts of the Regional Congress of the ISBT(Bangkok, Thailand, 16-19 Nov. 2019) Vox Sang 2019; 114(S2): 5-135. Epub 5 Nov. 2019
- UK: Meeting of the BBTS, 18–20 Sept. 2019 - Abstracts
- Bachofner A, Rüfli T, Holbro A, Hustinx H, Crottet SL, Escedi M, et al. The remarkable journey of a low-frequency alloantibody. Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5):386-7.
- Biswas TK, Sujon H, Rahman MH, Perry HB, Chowdhury ME. Quality of maternal and newborn healthcare services in two public hospitals of Bangladesh: identifying gaps and provisions for improvement. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019 Dec 10;19(1):488.
- Chung HJ, Hur M, Choi SG, Lee HK, Lee S, Kim H, et al. Benefits of VISION Max automated cross-matching in comparison with manual cross-matching: a multidimensional analysis. PLoS One. 2019 Dec 23;14(12):e0226477. eCollection 2019.
- Divkolaye N, Seighali F, Pourfathollah AA, Sibinga CTS. A country-wide comparison of cost recovery and financing systems of blood and blood products. East Mediterr Health J. 2019 Mar 19;25(2):104-10.
- * Drews SJ, Lesley P, Detsky ME, Distefano L, Ilagan C, Mehta S, McGeer A, Shehata N, Skeate R, Ramirez-Arcos. A suspected septic transfusion reaction associated with posttransfusion contamination of a platelet pool by vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Transfusion. 2019 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Farrugia A, Grazzini G, Quinti I, Candura F, Profili S, Liumbruno GM. The growing importance of achieving national self-sufficiency in immunoglobulin in Italy. The emergence of a national imperative. Blood Transfus. 2019 Nov;17(6):449-58. Epub 2019 Dec 11.
- Fosgaard T, Hansen L, Jacobsen C, Sørensen E, Romose M, Ullum H. Can text messages save lives? A field experiment on blood donor motivation. Transfusion. 2019 Dec 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fox B, Hockley J, Studholme L. The British Standard for (European Conformity[CE] Marked) Anti-D: Its rarely discussed but important role in quantitating anti-D in patient plasma. Transfus Med. 2019 Nov 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fürsta D, Peter Bugert P. Spotlight on HLA: current aspects in transfusion and transplantation medicine. (Editorial) Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5):309-10.
- Kasraian L, Hosseini S, Dehbidi S, Ashkani-Esfahani S. Return rate in blood donors: A 7-year follow up.Transfus Med. 2019 Nov 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Krause PJ. Human babesiosis. Int J Parasitol. 2019 Feb;49(2):165-174. Epub 2019 Jan 26.
- Lee RH, Piatt R, Dhenge A, Lozano ML, Palma-Barqueros V, Rivera J, Bergmeier W. Impaired hemostatic activity of healthy transfused platelets in inherited and acquired platelet disorders: Mechanisms and implications. Sci Transl Med. 2019 Dec 11;11(522). pii: eaay0203.
- Leitch S, Charlewood R. Paraprotein implicated in hardware failures in nucleic acid testing of blood donors. Vox Sang. 2019 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Londero D, Stampalija T, Bolzicco D, Castro Silva E, Candolini M, Cortivo C, et al. Fetal RHD detection from circulating cell-free fetal DNA in maternal plasma: validation of a diagnostic kit using automatic extraction and frozen DNA. Transfus Med. 2019 Dec;29(6):408-14. Epub 2019 Jun 17.
- Meybohm P, Straub N, Füllenbach C, Judd L, Kleinerüschkamp A, Taeuber I, et al. Health economics of Patient Blood Management: a cost-benefit analysis based on a meta-analysis. Vox Sang. 2019 Dec 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mir F, et al. HIV infection predominantly affecting children in Sindh, Pakistan, 2019: a cross-sectional study of an outbreak. Lancet Infect Dis. Epub 19 Dec. 2019. (Register for free full text)
- Muniz AA, da Silva AR, Ferraz IA, Martins ML, Godin MM, Schmidt LC, et al. The screening of rare blood donors in a highly admixed population: A new approach for Holley and Diego genotyping and impact of genomic and self-reported ancestry. Transfus Med. 2019 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Neyrinck MM, Vrielink H. Performance of an apheresis procedure: The apheresis nurse-operator and nursing aspects. Transfus Apher Sci. 2019 Jun;58(3):296-9. Epub 2019 Apr 19.
- * O'Brien SF, Grégoire Y, Pillonel J, Steele WR, Custer B, Davison KL, et al. HIV residual risk in Canada under a three-month deferral for men who have sex with men. Vox Sang. 2019 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Roberts N, James S, Delaney M, Fitzmaurice C. The global need and availability of blood products: a modelling study. Lancet Haematol. 2019 Dec;6(12):e606-e615. Epub 2019 Oct 17.
- Scott SS, Henneman EA, Nathanson BH, Andrzejewski C Jr, Gonzalez M, Walker R, Martinez VI. Use of a transfusion checklist by student nurses to improve patient safety. J Nurses Prof Dev. 2019 Dec 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shirasu T, Furuya T, Nagai M, Nomura Y. Factors affecting longer stay and higher costs during elective open repair for abdominal aortic aneurysm: a case-control study. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Oct;60:112-9. dEpub 2019 Jun 13.
- Smith D, Aye T, Er LS, Nester T, Delaney M. Acute hemolytic transfusion reaction due to anti-P1: a case report and review of institutional experience. Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5):381-4.
- * Spinella PC, Tucci M, Fergusson DA, Lacroix J, Hébert PC, Leteurtre S, et al.; ABC-PICU Investigators, the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group, the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators Network, the BloodNet Pediatric Critical Care Blood Research Network, and the Groupe Francophone de Réanimation et Urgences P. Effect of fresh vs standard-issue red blood cell transfusions on multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in critically ill pediatric patients: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2019 Dec 10; 322(22):2179-90.
- Thomson J, et al. On Behalf Of The South African Patient Blood Management Group A. Patient blood management: a solution for South Africa. S Afr Med J. 2019 Jun 28;109(7):471-6.
- Thonier V. Immuno-hematological findings in Delayed Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction (DHTR). Transfus Clin Biol. 2019 May;26(2):102-8. Epub 2019 Feb 22.
- Thorpe R, Masser BM, Nguyen L, Davison TE. Understanding donation frequency: insights from current plasma donors. Vox Sang. 2019 Dec 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Van Remoortel H, Matthysen W, Avau B, Compernolle V, Vandekerckhove P, De Buck E. Is sexual risk behaviour associated with an increased risk of transfusion-transmissible infections in blood donors from Western and Pacific countries? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vox Sang 2019. Epub 10 Dec. 2019.
- Visser GHA, Di Renzo GC, Spitalnik SL; FIGO Committee Safe Motherhood and Newborn Health. The continuing burden of Rh disease 50 years after the introduction of anti-Rh(D) immunoglobin prophylaxis: call to action. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Sep;221(3):227.e1-227.e4. Epub 2019 May 20.
- Xia RW, Xun CZ, Xiang D, Zhang JM, Yang QX, Zhao FY, et al. A novel double-variant RHAG allele leads to Rhmod phenotype. Transfus Med. 2019 Dec;29(6):460-5. Epub 2019 Apr 29.
- Yang N, Dai R, Zhang X. Global prevalence of human pegivirus-1 in healthy volunteer blood donors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Vox Sang. 2019 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print] | PubMed abstract
- Yano Y, Sakata N, Fushimi K. Establishing a hospital transfusion management system promotes appropriate clinical use of human albumin in Japan: a nationwide retrospective study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Dec 26;19(1):999.
- Zhao FY, Li Q, Zhang DM, Guo ZH, Wu YX, Wang F, et al. A novel silent RHCE allele in Chinese population. Transfus Med. 2019 Dec;29(6):430-3. Epub 2019 Aug 19.