Describe 7 communication mechanisms that can be used to increase transfusion safety for patients with special needs such as requiring irradiated blood.
Examples of communication mechanisms that can be used to increase transfusion safety for patients with special needs include:
- Transplant program sending a letter to the TS, advising the TS of the patient's identity, date of transplant, and transfusion requirements
- Pharmacy department, clinicians, and nurses notifying the TS whenever a patient is started on therapy with purine analogues such as fludarabine
- Using forms such as a "Request for Special Blood Products" that clinical staff complete and send to the TS
- TS adding markers and comments in LIS patient history to indicate type of blood product required, transplant date, drug history, etc.
- Using an LIS that can block issuing anything but products that meet a patient's special needs
- Sending a letter to the patient's physician and the patient explaining the need for special products and asking patients to show a wallet card that accompanies the letter
- Using medic alert bracelets to document special transfusion needs
- Conducting in-services about the importance of special transfusion needs and ways to provide safe blood