What's New - July 2019 (By topic)
- TM blog: I will remember you (Musings on Marion Lewis, an extraordinary Canadian)
- Can red cell exchange treat advanced sickle cell disease? (10 July 2019)
- 3D printed technology streamlines ELISA, lowers cost (25 June 2019)
- From the archives (HCV lookback programs):
- Callum JL, Pinkerton PH, Coovadia AS, Thomson AE, Dewsbury F. An evaluation of the process and costs associated with targeted lookbacks for HCV and general notification of transfusion recipients. Transfusion. 2000 Oct;40(10):1169-75.
- Culver DH, Alter MJ, Mullan RJ, Margolis HS. Evaluation of the effectiveness of targeted lookback for HCV infection in the United States-interim results. Transfusion. 2000 Oct;40(10):1176-81.
- Canadian Blood Services, BC & Yukon Region WNV Update (19 July 2019)
- Study finds blood transfusions can be cut in cardiac surgery (17 July 2019)
- Garg AX, Badner N, Bagshaw SM, Cuerden MS, Fergusson DA, Gregory AJ, et al;TRICS Investigators and Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group. Safety of a restrictive versus liberal approach to red blood cell transfusion on the outcome of AKI in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a randomized clinical trial. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019 Jul;30(7):1294-1304. Epub 2019 Jun 20.
- There’s a way to avoid blood plasma shortages: pay donors (4 July 2019) |
- Oped by Peter Jaworski, adjunct scholar at libertarian Cato Institute and co-author of Markets Without Limits.
- ORBCoN Report - June
- CBS: Upcoming educational events
Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)
- Students remain the main source of safe blood (WHO, 26 June 2019)
- Five suspended for wrong blood group transfusion in Andhra Pradesh (30 June 2019)
- Suspended were 2 physicians, 2 nurses, and a blood bank technician. Apparently after the death, blood group records and specimens were changed to cover up what happened.
- National Blood Transfusion Service and Human Organs Transplantation to adopt new organ transplantation law (2 July 2019)
- Woman died after Waitemata DHB staff failed to properly treat her ongoing bleeding (22 July 2019)
- Report by the Health and Disability Commissioner (17 June 2019)
- Surge in dengue cases puts strain on Iloilo blood supply (9 July 2019)
- Scotland: NHS Tayside forced to rush in new blood supplies after Ninewells power cut (5 July 2019)
- NEWS - Infected Blood Inquiry
- Hearing in Wales begin 23 July 2019 BBC Wales, 4:23 min. video)
- At least 300 victims in Wales (22 July 2019)
- Infected or affected, all the victims of our national blood scandal are owed closure (16 July 2019)
- Twins with HIV 'treated like lab rats' (11 July 2019)
- 'Mr. X' tells of hepatitis 'hell' (10 July 2019)
- Woman given ‘death sentence’ from HIV-infected kidney transplant (9 July 2019)
- Contaminated bloods' 'devastating' toll on Highlands family (9 July 2019)
- 'Death sentence' Scots mum given contaminated blood after miscarriage (8 July 2019)
- Medical records were destroyed, blood probe told (3 July 2019)
- Scottish victims reveal 'coalition of secrecy' (2 July 2019)
- Also see Ireland above (Northern Ireland)
- Also see Resources below (2018 Annual SHOT Report)
- AABB: Grading Severity of Blood Donor Adverse Events Tool (6 June 2019)
- Online Feedback Form
- Deadline to provide feedback: 15 August 2019
- AABB: Center for Patient Safety, a component Patient Safety Organization (PSO) was discontinued April 30, 2019 | AABB Releases Patient Hemovigilance Supplemental Data Forms
- AABB, ABC, ARC: Joint letter to HHS Secretary Azar to continue funding two advisory committees, HHS's ACBTSA and FDA's BPAC (17 July 2019) | Background:
- President Trump Executive Order 13875 of June 14, 2019: Evaluating and Improving the Utility of Federal Advisory Committees
- Walking blood bank can save lives on the battlefield (22 July 2019)
- DOD seeks 'theater blood' tracking app (5 July 2019)
- Six things Big Pharma doesn't want you to know (Médecins Sans Frontières, 10 July 2019)
- Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and top deputy Balwani ordered to stand trial in 2020 (28 June 2019)
- Dengue fever: See Philippines above
- HCV/HIV: See UK (Infected Blood Inquiry) above
- WNV: Canadian Blood Services, BC & Yukon Region WNV Update (19 July 2019)
- NEW TraQ's June newsletter
- NEW TM blog: I will remember you (Musings on Marion Lewis, an extraordinary Canadian)
- May blog: We can work it out (Musings on transfusion association annual meetings)
- UK: 2018 Annual SHOT Report (9 July 2019) | 210 pp.
- Australia/New Zealand: ANZBT Guidelines
- BloodSafe ELearning Australia has new free courses based on Patient Blood Management Guidelines: Module 6 - Neonatal and Paediatrics:
- PBM for Neonatal and Paediatrics
- Neonatal Preterm
- Fetal and Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia
- Paediatric Haematology/Oncology
- Paediatric Surgical
- Paediatric Major Haemorrhage
- Paediatric Iron Deficiency Anaemia
- Héma-Québec: Plasma donation: what happens after (3:40 min. video)
- CBS BloodTechNet program
- CBS-sponsored LearnTransfusion series
- Choosing Wisely Canada's transfusion recommendations (Entertaining and informative 2-2.5 min. animated videos)
- Blood & Blood Clots
- Educational resources housed on CanadiEM dedicated to the management of bleeding and thrombosis
- Resources include Interactive Quizlets, Blog Posts, and Podcasts
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues
- Brit J Haematol 2019 Jan; 184(1):1-112. | Special Issue: Themed Issue: Hodgkin Lymphoma Today and Tomorrow
- Brit J Haematol 2017 June;177(6):827-1007. | Special Issue:Low to middle income countries
- Immunohematology (J of American Red Cross): 1988-2017. (Articles in these years are free)
- AABB journal Transfusion 2019 Jan; 59(1):1-431.
- Transfus Med Rev 2019 Jan;33(1):1-68.
- Vox Sang 2019 Jan;114(1):1-103.
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- NEW: Abstract of 29th Regional Congress of the ISBT. Vox Sang 2019;114 (Suppl. 1):5–240. EPub 7 June 2019
- Fenger-Eriksen C, Fries D, David J-S, Bouzat P, Lance MD, Grottke O, et al. Pre-hospital plasma transfusion: a valuable coagulation support or an expensive fluid therapy? (editorial) Critical Care 2019; 23:238 EPub 1 July 2019.
- * Garg AX, Badner N, Bagshaw SM, Cuerden MS, Fergusson DA, Gregory AJ, et al;TRICS Investigators and Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group. Safety of a restrictive versus liberal approach to red blood cell transfusion on the outcome of AKI in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a randomized clinical trial. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019 Jul;30(7):1294-1304. Epub 2019 Jun 20.
- Kenyon M, Babic A, editors. The European Blood and Marrow Transplantation Textbook for Nurses: Under the Auspices of EBMT [Internet]. (Open access textbook)
- Liu R, et al. Prevalence of Zika virus in blood donations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 6;19(1):590.
- Notani N, etal. Fibrinogen level on admission is a predictive marker of the need for massive blood transfusion after pelvic fracture. Am J Emerg Med. 2019 Jun 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Öhrner C, Kvist M, Blom Wiberg K, Diedrich B. Why do young men lapse from blood donation? Vox Sang. 2019 May 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Peedin AR, Perjar I, Mazepa MA, Rollins-Raval MA, Park YA, Raval JS. The top 10 things to know about transfusion medicine before intern year: an evidence-based course for graduating medical students. Blood Res. 2019 Jun;54(2):125-30. Epub 2019 Jun 25.
- Thomas AB, Shammas RL, Orr J, Truong T, Kuchibhatla M, Sergesketter AR, Hollenbeck ST. An assessment of bleeding complications necessitating blood transfusion across inpatient plastic surgery procedures: a nationwide analysis using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Database. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 May;143(5):1109e-1117e.
- Ziemer RE, James S. Newman JS. Practical considerations in the dangers associated with blood transfusion: a century later. (letter to editor) Mayo Clin Proc. 2019 Jul; 94(7)7:1386-7.