- WHO's Model List of Essential Medicines amended to include blood and blood products (April 2013, final amendments Oct. 2013) See p. 20 | Also see March 2013 blog, Stop children what's that sound (Musings on commercialization of our blood supply)
- An intercultural and semi-confessional reflection on blood donation (Came across this funny 2010 essay in CMAJ by 2 physicians on donating blood in Canada vs Australia) | 2013 CBS 'record of donation' questionnaire | ARC FAQ on blood donation
- Transfusion Evidence Library (Resource by UK's NHSBT, based in Oxford Blood Centre)
- Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- The Blood Regulations contain safety requirements with respect to blood for transfusion or for further manufacture and apply to all persons or establishments who perform any of the following activities related to blood: processing (donor suitability assessment, collection, testing and blood component preparation); transforming (washing, pooling and irradiating blood intended for transfusion); labelling; storing; record keeping; importing (for transfusion); distributing; and error, accident and adverse reaction investigation and reporting.
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard (available on CSA website)
- Independent performance review of CBS released (April 2013)
- CBS management response to 2013 performance review (3 Oct. 2013)
- Kingston General Hospital hires TSO (Just saw news item from June)
- Health minister returns 'sloppy report' presented more than 6 months after man died from transfusion-related hepatitis B (23 Oct. 2013)
- Iran's blood safety improves (6 Nov. 2013)
- Iranian WHO rep speaks on recognition of Iran as WHO Collaborating Center for Training and Research on Blood Safety (6 Nov. 2013) Interesting presentation by Iranian WHO representative
- Scotland: HIV awareness gap leads to fears of infection (11 Oct. 2013)
- New study will test AB plasma use during air transport for patients in shock (31 Oct. 2013)
- New CSL plasma collection center opens in Vancouver, Washington (23 Oct. 2013)
- “Because of the wages to our employees and compensation we offer to our donors, each center brings in about $5-6 million dollars annually.”
- Ethical dilemmas surround those willing to sell blood, eggs (4 Nov. 2013)
- Selling it all (31 Oct. 2013)
- Prostitution...selling one's body to make a buck. But nowadays there are more legal options when it comes to self-profit. Options like donating plasma.
- Blood Centers of the Pacific: As demand for blood wanes, Marin centers see change (27 Oct. 2013)
- Half of the center's 6 sites have closed. Within last 5 yrs, 150 staff positions eliminated.
- Pregnant woman with placenta previa has severe HTR after 'wrong' blood transfusion (3 Nov. 2013) DIC followed by profuse hemorrhage
- GlaxoSmithKline: GSK boss says firm won't pull out of China despite corruption scandal (23 Oct. 2013)
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics: 3 possible outcomes from J&J's sale of OCD (8 Nov. 2013)
- CSL recognizes plasma donors for their lifesaving contributions to treating rare diseases (15 Oct. 2013)
- Malaria: U.S. malaria cases climb as global rates drop (8 Nov. 2013)
- HIV/AIDS: See UK above
- Brooks S, Squires JE. Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn caused by anti-Lan. Transfusion. 2013 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brunker PA. Chimerism in transfusion medicine: The grandmother effect revisited.Chimerism. 2013 Nov 6;4(4). [Epub ahead of print] Musings on why most transfused patients don't produce alloantibodies
- Haesebaert J, Bénet T, Michallet M, Vanhems P. Septic shock during platelet transfusion in a patient with acute myeloid leukaemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Oct 30.
- Hogshire LC, Patel MS, Rivera E, Carson JL. Evidence review: Periprocedural use of blood products. J Hosp Med. 2013 Oct 12. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2089. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jardes DJ, Ross LA, Markovich JE. Hemolytic anemia after ingestion of the natural hair dye Lawsonia inermis (henna) in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2013 Nov 1. [Epub ahead of print] For your reading pleasure, something odd.
- * Mertin S, Thomson I. What you need to know about IgA deficiency: A case study. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2013 Sep 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mushkbar M, Watkins E, Doughty H. A UK single-centre survey of red cell antibodies in adult patients undergoing liver transplantation. Vox Sang. 2013 Nov;105(4):341-345. doi: 10.1111/vox.12059. Epub 2013 Jun 13.
- Popgeorgiev N, Colson P, Thuret I, Chiarioni J, Gallian P, Raoult D, Desnues C. Marseillevirus prevalence in multitransfused patients suggests blood transmission. J Clin Virol. 2013 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ranheim EA. A novel program for clinical pathology training for residents emphasizing high-impact and attending-level learning opportunities. Hum Pathol. 2013 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reddoch KM, Pidcoke HF, Montgomery RK, Fedyk C, Aden JK, Ramasubramanian AK, Cap AP. Hemostatic function of apheresis platelets stored at 4 °C and 22 °C. Shock. 2013 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Refaai MA, Blumberg N. Transfusion immunomodulation from a clinical perspective: an update. Expert Rev Hematol. 2013 Oct 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Robson JP Jr. We are better together: nurses' ability to affect change. Nephrol Nurs J. 2013 Jul-Aug;40(4):349-51. | Nephrology RNs decrease transfusion reactions in apheresed patients receiving FFP
- Seed CR, Lucky TT, Waller D, Wand H, Lee JF, Wroth S, McDonald A, Pink J, Wilson DP, Keller AJ. Compliance with the current 12-month deferral for male-to-male sex in Australia. Vox Sang. 2013 Oct 10. doi: 10.1111/vox.12093. [Epub ahead of print]
- Steinsvåg CT, Espinosa A, Flesland O. Eight years with haemovigilance in Norway. What have we learnt? Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Oct 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Varela JC, Brodsky RA. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and the age of therapeutic complement inhibition. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2013 Nov;9(11):1113-24.
- Wright T, Brown P, Marais I, Hong FS. Acute haemolytic reaction due to anti-Wb: a case report. Vox Sang. 2013 Nov;105(4):355-357. doi: 10.1111/vox.12052. Epub 2013 May 17.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
* Also see TraQ's 'Disease clearinghouses' in top menu
Resource Library / Links
Australia: Post-graduate Certificate in Transfusion Practice (Online course via University of Melbourne School of Nursing)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
New TM blog: Lest we forget (Musings on accountability of national blood suppliers)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors