News items constitute an arbitrary selection of events. Links to some news items may no longer be active. News items are for the current year only.
Index: General | Canada | Other countries (change over time)
- CSTM blog - 'I will remember you' series: Lucie Sabourin
- Farrugia A, Del Bò C. Some reflections on the Code of Ethics of the International Society of Blood Transfusion. (review) Blood Transfus. 2015 Oct;13(4):551-8. Epub 2015 Mar 30. (Free full text)
- Paypal co-founder Thiel believes transfusions from the young may hold key to his dream of living forever (1 Aug, 2016)
- USA: Americans more worried than enthusiastic about gene-editing, brain chips, synthetic blood (29 July 2016)
- Now possible to tell age range from crime scene blood (29 June 2016)
- AIDS 2016 reports huge boom in teen HIV cases in sub-Saharan Africa (21 July 2016)
- Novel biomarkers can help detect illegal blood doping in athletes (18 July 2016)
- Social media
- Ioannidis JPA. Why most clinical research is not useful. PLoS Med 2016 Jun 23;13(6): e1002049. (Free full text)
- Israel opens world’s first bird blood bank (11 July 2016)
- Canada: Researchers find association between donor age, female sex and transfusion outcomes (11 July 2016)
- A Canadian kept blood flowing in WWI. An American got credit (9 July 2016)
- Edgren G,et al. Transmission of neurodegenerative disorders through blood transfusion: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2016. E-pub 28 June 2016.
- Cautionary tale of ‘stem cell tourism’ (22 June 2016)
- Unregulated commercial stem-cell industry is not only potentially harmful but also undermines attempts to study stem-cell therapies in clinical trials.
- USA: Clinical labs using social media to recruit and retain top med techs, young pathologists (17 June 2016)
- Wrap-up to Jehovah's Witness ethics case (17 June 2016) (Original case in May's TraQ newsletter)
- WHO: World Blood Donor Day (14 June 2016)
- New finding offer hope to those with severe hemophilia A (25 May 2016)
- USA: FDA recognizes v 2.0 Donor History Questionnaires in May 2016 Guidance (27 May 2016)
- Too many drug clinical trials switch outcomes midway through (26 Mar. 2016)
- Canada (CSTM): New blog series recognizing Canadian transfusion medicine colleagues
- Comments are most welcome regardless of where you work.
- For fun: Why do we have different ABO blood groups?
- Huge leap to mass produced platelets (8 Apr. 2016)
- Blood processing methods affect microparticles and mtDNA linked to transfusion reactions (CBS press release, 11 Apr. 2016) )
- WHO Zika App | Easy-to-use Zika Virus information
- Ortega R, Canelli RJ, Quillen K, Mustafa W, Kotova F. Transfusion of red cells. N Engl J Med 2016;374:e12.
- 10 min. 'how to' video available to subscribers (also pdf of summary points)
- If not a subscriber, ask transfusion service medical director, staff or students of college/university, or hospital librarian (they may subscribe)
- AABB - Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services (BBTS):
- Product age, preparation method may influence mortality risk after blood transfusion (11 Mar. 2016)
- Can we treat Ebola with plasma? The results are in. (8 Jan. 2016)
Australia / New Zealand (Down Under)
China / Hong Kong
- A surprise shill for Big Pharma? (9 Aug. 2016)
- Patients groups are focus of a new report that questions their willingness to lobby government for policies favorable to pharmaceutical companies that support them.
- Report: Patients' groups and Big Pharma (4 Aug. 2016) | See 'The Medicare Part B Demonstration Project'
- Paid plasma & Iowa politics (4 Aug. 2016)
- Got a toothache? Better schedule some sessions at the plasma center to get cash to pay the dentist.
- FDA opens door to a change in blood donation policy for gay men (26 July 2016)
- Federal fraud case in NJ brings more convictions/indictments of doctors who accepted bribes (22 July 2016)
- Rare case of tough federal enforcement of anti-kickback laws
- CDC: Gay and bisexual teen males no more likely than heterosexual teen males to engage in sexual risk behaviors but at substantially higher risk of HIV infection (Press release, July 20, 2016)
- HIV diagnosis rates are 57 times higher among men who have sex with men (MSM) than among heterosexual men.
- Fetus with hydrops fetalis caused by parvovirus B19 has IUT (17 July 2016)
- Plastic surgeons live-stream surgeries on Facebook and Periscope (14 July 2016)
- To keep blood supply safe, screening blood is more important than banning donors (16 June 2016)
- Circular of Information for the Use of Cellular Therapy Products (June 2016)
- 3 years and many inspections after patient died from wrong transfusion, NY lab still cannot do its own blood typing (5 June 2016)
- Baby has 12 intrauterine transfusions (27 May 2016)
- Rh immune globulin not given in first pregnancy
- HHS ships blood products to Puerto Rico in response to Zika outbreak (7 Mar. 2016)
- Jury awards family of Jehovah's Witness who died from blood loss $100K (19 Feb. 2016)
- Man sues Blood Bank of Hawaii and ARC alleging he became HIV-positive from 2011 blood transfusion (3 Feb. 2016)
- ARC spokesperson says claims against ARC have no merit.
- Hospitals in NY State & throughout U.S. advertising to attract growing number of Canadian medical tourists (27 Jan. 2016) | Right wing Fraser Institute heavily quoted
- Why you get paid to donate plasma, not blood (22 Jan. 2016)
- Background: The twisted business of donating plasma (28 May 2014)
- 5 big players: USA's Baxter and Talecris, Australia's CSL, Spain's Grifols, Switzerland's Octapharma, possibly Biotest AG, an arm of the Dutch nonprofit Sanquin. Since 2008, plasma pharmaceuticals have increased from $4b to more than $11bKnowledge AnalyzerTM