News items constitute an arbitrary selection of events. Links to some news items may no longer be active. News items are for the current and past year only.
Index: General | Canada | Other countries (change over time)
- Meetings (Spring/Summer)
- Researchers study equine blood transfusions (25 Feb. 2015) | Fascinating
- Detecting autologous blood doping with biomarkers (16 Feb. 2015) | Interview with scientist from Swiss lab
- Plasma collection could outpace overall blood collection by 2018 (8 Feb. 2015)
- Comment on Kalorama Informations' Blood: The Worldwide Market for Blood Products, Blood Testing, Blood Equipment, and Synthetic Blood Products
- Holcomb JB, etal. for the PROPPR Study Group. Transfusion of plasma, platelets, and red blood cells in a 1:1:1 vs a 1:1:2 ratio and mortality in patients with severe trauma: The PROPPR Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2015 Feb 3;313(5):471-82.
- The strange early days of blood transfusion (Jan. 2015, Anesthesiology News)
- Sad to report death of Dr. Roslyn Yomtovian (Nov. 16, 2014) (9 Dec. 2014)
- Dr. Yomtovian served as the Director of the Blood Bank at University Hospitals of Cleveland for almost 18 years
- Endless blood. How smart use of an old technology is saving women’s lives. (25 Nov. 2014) | Musings on benefits of massive transfusion protocol
- Precision blood rinsing | Microfluidic device safely removes glycerol from thawed RBC in minutes, potentially making frozen blood more feasible for routine transfusions (25 Nov. 2014)
- Petrini C. Production of plasma-derived medicinal products: ethical implications for blood donation and donors. Blood Transfus. Jan 2014; 12(Suppl 1): s389–s394. (Full free text)
- White paper: Bridging the generational divide
- Commentary: AABB guideline emphasizes prophylactic platelet transfusion (11 Nov. 2014)
- The most precious blood on earth (27 Oct. 2014) | Story of two people with rare blood, inc. Rh null
- WHO to issue guidelines on treating Ebola with blood, plasma therapies (26 Sept. 2014)
- 2013 SHOT Report, Summary, and Supplement (Pub. 9 July 2014)
- AABB: Ebola Fact Sheet
- Plasma of Ebola survivors holds therapy potential (17 Aug. 2014)
20 Things you didn't know about blood (28 Aug. 2014)
- Goldman M, Lapierre D, Lemay L, Devine D, Sher G. Donor criteria for men who have sex with men: a Canadian perspective. Transfusion. 2014 Jul;54(7):1887-92.
- AABB: Association Bulletin on Clinical Recognition & Investigation of Suspected Bacterial Contamination of Platelets (18 July 2014)
- Allen TC. Social media: pathologists' force multiplier. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 Aug;138,(8):1000-1.
- Scientists generate human platelets using next-generation bioreactor (21 July 2014)
- Why do we have blood types (15 July 2014)
- WHO: Consolidated guidelines on HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care for key populations (July 2014)
- Video: A validated TM exam
- WHO theme for World Blood Donor Day (June 14): Safe blood for saving mothers
- Must read: Twisted business of donating plasma for money (28 May 2014)
- Chinese researchers use polydopamine to immunocamouflage donor RBC (21 May 2014)
- For fun: Algorithm on how to name your conference
- Could young blood slow ageing? (6 May 2014)
- HIV: Why Is blood donation still incredibly homophobic? (by Dr. Matt McCarty, 8 May 2014)
- For fun (on Youtube): Make fake blood cuts (chemistry trick)
- USA FDA Guidance for Industry: An Acceptable Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components
- University of Montreal’s Faculty of Veterinary Medicine:Surprising world of pet transfusions (7 Apr. 2014)
- USA: Likely female-to-female sexual transmission of HIV — Texas, 2012. MMWR 2014 Mar 14;63(10);209-21.
- UK: Researchers discover revolutionary new way to freeze RBC (7 Feb. 2014)
- USA: SmithKlineBeecham v. Abbott Labs - Part 2: 9th Circuit bars lawyers from removing gay/lesbian jurors (14 Feb. 2014)
- USA: SmithKline Beecham v. Abbott Laboratories - Appeal Court ruling bars lawyers from removing gay / lesbian jurors (31 Jan. 2014)
- Abbott challenged the only known gay juror for a trial in which SKB challenged Abbott's controversial 400% price increase for an HIV medication [SKB is now GlaxoSmithKline, GSK]
- The panel held that, because of the history of excluding gays and lesbians from democratic institutions and the pervasiveness of stereotypes about the group, that equal protection forbids striking a juror on the basis of sexual orientation AND remanded the case for a new trial.
Australia / New Zealand (Down Under)
China / Hong Kong
- How a rare blood challenges India (19 Mar. 2015)
- Owners of illegal blood banks warned (4 Feb. 2015)
- National Aids Control Organisation: 1,000 HIV+ cases in Maharashtra due to infected blood transfusion (28 Jan. 2015)
- Maharashtra is world's second-most populous sub-national entity, with a population of over 110 million, including capital Mumbai (~18 million)
- State of Gujarat has high rate of transfusion-associated HIV, yet builds medical tourism (15 Jan. 2015)
- Ultra-rare blood types (12 Dec. 2014)
- Blood recipients get HIV as labs lack cannot detect HIV in window period as NAT testing unavailable (1 Dec. 2014)
- Excessive platelet transfusion resulting in TRALI may have killed 4 dengue victims (23 Nov. 2014)
- Saving lives is octogenarian’s way of life (18 Aug. 2014)
- Indira Gandhi Government Medical College patient got correct blood 'by mistake' (12 June 2014)
- Lab tech tested blood as 'A positive' instead of 'O positive', but with no 'A pos' blood, tech labelled bag of 'O pos' as 'A pos' and sent it to hospital. During transfusion, a relative said patient was 'O pos.'
- Goat blood enema used to help treat thalassemia patients (8 June 2014)
- Unusual haste to sell blood plasma raises eyebrows (9 May 2014)
- 23 years after girl got HIV+ve blood, blood bank officer gets 2 years in jail (20 Mar. 2014) | Unusual ruling
- Blood money: Mumbai hospitals flout norms, charge more for blood (2 Mar. 2014) (1050 rupees ~$18.75 CDN)
- Most Mumbai blood bank not equipped to detect HBV, HCV, HIV (Use ELISA, not NAT) (9 Feb. 2014)
- Direct donor-patient blood transfusion to be legalized (16 Jan. 2014)
- Scotland: Final Penrose Report on transfusion-associated HCV/HIV tragedy (25 Mar. 2015)
- Six years, £12m, one recommendation: Scottish Govt take all reasonable steps to offer HCV test to all those transfused before Sept. 1991 if not yet tested
- Penrose Final Report
- Scotland: Infected with hepatitis C via transfusion, woman charts her journey back to life (14 Mar. 2015) | Excellent account of coping with HCV
- Children with blood disorders tour path labs (haem, biochem, transfusion) (10 Mar. 2015)
- Wonderful initiative known as 'Harvey's Gang'
- vCJD still menaces blood supply (15 Feb. 2015)
- Frontiers in Laboratory Medicine conference: Medical laboratory professionals gather to explore disruptive diagnostic technology, ISO 15189, and how labs can add value (Dark Daily, 30 Jan. 2015)
- Not strictly transfusion-related, but still relevant
- Blood money: is it wrong to pay donors? (25 Jan. 2015)
- Haemophilia Society backs call for review of NHS HCV scandal (20 Jan. 2015)
- £12m report on Lord Penrose Public Inquiry, launched by Scottish government to investigate the UK-wide scandal, is due Mar. 25.
- Collaboration between Blood Bikes and air ambulance to deliver transfusions to road crash victims (13 Jan. 2015)
- Piloted on Afghanistan battlefields, where military helicopters delivered blood directly to scene of severely injured patients
- Research continues to generate group O RBC from human stem cells (10 Dec. 2014) | Began with request from US military to build a machine that could be dropped from a helicopter onto a battle field and generate stem-cell-derived blood.
- An NHS Trust v Child B and Others  EWHC 3486 (Fam)
- Judgment in respect of urgent application by NHS Trust to treat young boy with severe burns whose skin grafts might require a blood transfusion; Jehovah's Witness parents had refused consent to transfusion. Application granted.
- For 1st time in 66 yrs, nurses scoop historic win at blood transfusion awards (24 Nov. 2014)
- NHS adopts trauma skills developed in Afghanistan (2 Nov. 2014)
- Usual medical practice is ABCDE – airway, breathing, circulation, disability, exposure, but in Afghanistan it was 'control of catastrophic haemorrhage'. If you've got both legs and an arm missing, you'll dump your blood volume into dirt long before an airway problem kills you.
- UK Transfusion Laboratory Collaborative: Minimum standards for staff qualifications, training, competency and the use of information technology in hospital transfusion laboratories 2014
- Neglect verdict for Birmingham hospital after death of 7 year old from sickle cell crisis without transfusion (25 Sept. 2014)
- Grantham hospital to pay £10,000 compensation to patient whose OR was cancelled due to blood mixup as she lay on operating table (9 Sept. 2014) Did she have irregular antibodies and need antigen-negative RBC?
- Child with Diamond Blackfan Anemia highlights need for blood and transplant donors (21 Aug. 2014)
- Biomedical scientists retires after 40 years in blood transfusion laboratory at Royal Cornwall Hospital (10 Aug. 2014)
- Volunteer bikers deliver blood out-of-hours to Nottinghamshire hospitals (1 Aug. 2014)
- Transfusion service van gets parking ticket outside donor clinic (1 Aug. 2014)
- One in 3000 blood donations contaminated with HEV (27 July 2014)
- MPs warn of govt's 'casual attitude' to risk of vCJD transmission via surgery and transfusion (23 July 2014)
- Northampton Hospital lab staff told to work normally or stay away (9 July 2014)
- Northern Ireland: Many NI citizens still can’t donate blood because of 2004 vCJD policy (11 July 2014)
- Scotland: Blood transfusion inquiry cost spirals to £12m (2 July 2014)
- Haem02 project aims to develop 1-size-fits-all, 3rd generation artificial blood substitute (9 June 2014) | HaemO2 website
- NHSBT consolidates Human Resources using cloud-based HR technology (28 May 2014)
- NHS Trust entitled to withhold treatment from Jehovah’s Witness, court rules (9 May 2014)
- 3D printing drastically reduces development costs of autotransfusion machine (15 Apr. 2014)
- Wellcome Trust-funded stem cell research produces RBC fit for human transfusion, paving way for mass production (14 Apr. 2014)
- Woman dies 30 yrs after contracting transfusion-associated HCV (11 Apr. 2014)
- Hampshire & Isle of Wight Air Ambulance to carry blood (9 Apr. 2014) | Solent Advanced Motorcyclists to transfer blood from hospital to airbase as a free service
- Northumbria's volunteer 'Blood Bikes' extend service (9 Mar. 2014)
- Redhill and Kent air ambulance service performs nearly 70 emergency blood transfusions in first year (4 Feb. 2014)