What's New - Chronological (September 2018)
- Jamaica: Celebration of strong women, including Isabel Magnus, chair of National Blood Transfusion Service (28 Sept. 2018)
- Anton O, Jordan H, Rabe H. Strategies for implementing placental transfusion at birth: A systematic review. Birth. 2018 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ikeda K, Nollet KE, Vrielink H, Ohto H. Apheresis education and certification for nurses. Transfus Apher Sci. 2018 Sep 11. pii: S1473-0502(18)30361-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Phillips JB, Mohorn PL, Bookstaver RE, Ezekiel TO, Watson CM. Hemostatic management of trauma-induced coagulopathy. Crit Care Nurse. 2017 Aug;37(4):37-47. (Free full text)
- Sahin I, Reagan JL, Niroula R, Sweeney JD. Refractoriness to red blood cell transfusion therapy due to hypersplenism. (Case report) Transfusion. 2018 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- TraQ's September newsletter
- Company promising elixir of youth with ‘young blood’ transfusion to open NY clinic (27 Sept. 2018) | Now it's Ambrosia Medical not Ambrosia LLC?
- India: New guidelines - Gay and bisexual men, transgenders and female sex workers can never donate blood because of higher risk of contracting HIV, HBV, HCV (26 Sept. 2018)
- Ireland: IBTS launches campaign to recruit platelet donors and increase public understanding of what platelets are and why they are needed (25 Sept. 2018)
- USA: United Blood Services changes name to Vitalant, unifies donation centers (25 Sept. 2018)
- It's all about branding in U.S. blood industry
- 'Monigle's strategy leveraged the concepts of transformation, magic and impact to reinvent the organization and challenge an industry that has failed to meaningfully connect with Millennials and Generation-Z.'
- My career as an international blood smuggler (27 Sept. 2018)
- UK: Infected Blood Inquiry Preliminary Hearings - Day 3
- Why was contaminated blood allowed to devastate haemophiliacs’ lives? (27Sept. 2018)
- What have we learned so far? (27Sept. 2018)
- Day 3 - Part 1/4 (Sound & participants ~9:00 in 1:20:14 video)
- Day 3 - Part 2/4 (Sound & participants ~5:09 in 1:42:05 video)
- Day 3 - Part 3/4 (Sound & participants ~7:19 in 54:25 video)
- Day 3 - Part 4/4 (Sound & participants ~9:50 in 1:09:11 video)
- Link to all the videos
- UK: Infected blood inquiry
- Government expresses 'sorrow and regret'; accepts that the inquiry will have to investigate allegations of “cover-ups” within the NHS (26 Sept. 2018)
- Contaminated blood scandal: We are sorry, says government (26 Sept. 2018)
- Blood inquiry, Day 2 (2:32 video, 25 Sept. 2018)
- Barro L, Drew VJ, Poda GG, Tagny CT, El-Ekiaby M, Owusu-Ofori S, Burnouf T. Blood transfusion in sub-Saharan Africa: understanding the missing gap and responding to present and future challenges. Vox Sang. 2018 Sep 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leach Bennett J, Devine DV. Risk-based decision making in transfusion medicine. (Review) Vox Sang. 2018 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Meandering history of blood tackles transfusions, taboos, and trauma (24 Sept. 2018)
- Book review: 'Nine Pints: A Journey Through the Money, Medicine, and Mysteries of Blood'
- UK: infected blood inquiry
- Contaminated blood scandal: many medical records disappeared, inquiry hears (25 Sept. 2018)
- Scottish government criticised at start of blood inquiry (25 Sept. 2018)
- USA: Controversial startup that charges $8,000 to fill your veins with young blood to open first clinic in NYC (24 Sept. 2018) | Hard to track Ambrosia LLC. Where is it, what is it?
- Ambrosia Plasma (NYC)
- Background: NIH Clinical Trial: Young Donor Plasma Transfusion and Age-Related Biomarkers</> (June 2016 - 15 Jan. 2018)
- For $8, 000 startup can pump you full of young blood in hopes of finding a fountain of youth (15 Jan. 2017)
- Trial so poorly designed it cannot hope to provide evidence about the effects of the transfusions (13 Jan. 2017)
- India: Hospital in small city of Shillong transfuses expired blood to patient (21 Sept. 2018)
- UK infected blood inquiry:
- Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth' (24 Sept. 2018)
- Infected blood victims 'may still not know they have hepatitis C' (24 Sept. 2018)
- BBC News introduction to blood inquiry (3:46 video, 23 Sept. 2018)
- Victims reveal shocking stories at contaminated blood inquiry (2:38 video, ITV News, 24 Sept. 2018)
- Background: Penrose Inquiry Report into Scotland's infected blood tragedy, published 2015 (4:44 video)
- Iran: ‘O negative club’ launched (23 Sept. 2018)
- UK: Portsmouth victims call for justice ahead of inquiry into NHS blood scandal (21 Sept. 2018)
- Graber ML, Rusz D, Jones ML, Farm-Franks D, Jones B, Cyr Gluck J,et al. The new diagnostic team. Diagnosis (Berl). 2017 Nov 27;4(4):225-38.
- Kjeldsen-Kragh J. New elegant methods for maternal and fetal HPA-1a typing (ed.) Transfusion. 2018 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- USA (AABB): Standards for Cellular Therapy Services, 9th ed (Draft available for public comment until 10 Oct. 2018)
- Australia: Fewer blood transfusions needed worldwide (16 Sept. 2018)
- USA: Gunshot victims require much more blood and are more likely to die than other trauma patients (17 Sept. 2018)
- DeMario VM, Sikorski RA, Efron DT, Serbanescu MA, Buchanan RM, Wang EJ, et al. Blood utilization and mortality in victims of gun violence. Transfusion. 2018 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Estcourt LJ, Malouf R, Doree C, Trivella M, Hopewell S, Birchall J. Prophylactic platelet transfusions prior to surgery for people with a low platelet count. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Sep 17;9:CD012779. [Epub ahead of print]
- USA: 'I work 3 jobs and donate blood plasma to pay the bills.' This Is what it’s like to be a teacher in America (13 Sept. 2018)
- Bastos JMC, Pinheiro PL, Rocha LC, Bicalho EC, Cazeli AB, Marcondes SS, Pinasco GC. Therapeutic challenges in pregnant women with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018 Sep;97(36):e12155.
- Heyes J, Kelly PA, Monaghan K, Lawn M, Dhesi A, Mijovic A. A single unit transfusion policy reduces red cell transfusions in general medical in-patients. QJM. 2017 Nov 1;110(11):735-9.
- Ifland L, Bloch EM, Pitman JP. Funding blood safety in the 21st century. Transfusion. 2018 Jan;58(1):105-12.Epub 2017 Oct 13.
- Zeller MP, et al, Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. An international investigation into AB plasma administration in hospitals: how many AB plasma units were infused? The HABSWIN study. Transfusion. 2018 Jan;58(1):151-7. Epub 2017 Oct 14.
- Leading geneticists say research shows transfusions of young blood could stave off illness in older patients (8 Sept. 2018)
- USA: Trends and disparities in delivery hospitalizations involving severe maternal morbidity, 2006-2015. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2018 Sept.
- Blood transfusions for women during childbirth rose 54% from 2006 to 2015;severe complications during delivery increased 45%.
- USA: NY Blood Center hosts 95 blood drives to commemorate Sept. 11, 2001 attacks (6 Sept. 2018)
- Case Review: A man with fever and haemoglobinuria after blood transfusion. BMJ 2018; 362 (Epub 6 Sept. 2018)
- Theranos: Scandal hit blood-testing firm to shut (5 Sept. 2018)
- Australia: How to fix the market for plasma and save millions: pay plasma donors (2 Sept. 2018)
- Canada: BC PBCO/CBS Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (25 Oct. 2018, Sydney, BC)
- Australia: Judge says hospital can give pregnant Jehovah's Witness teenager a blood transfusion (31 Aug. 2018)
- Malta: When NAT introduced gay men will be allowed to donate. (29 Aug. 2018) | Unclear which criteria will apply
- Pakistan: 88% blood deposits in Islamabad come from family, friends, says IBTA report (28 Aug. 2018) | 2017 donors: 67,081 (98.4%) men; 1,066 (1.6%) women
- UK (Scotland) 200 years since first successful human-to-human transfusion, SNBTS is in rude health (28 Aug. 2018)