What's New - Chronological (December 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's December newsletter
- Ireland: Court rules Minister cannot appeal Hepatitis C tribunal finding (12 Dec. 2017)
- Bolton-Maggs PHB. Serious hazards of transfusion - conference report: celebration of 20 years of UK haemovigilance. Transfus Med. 2017 Dec;27(6):393-400.
- TM blog: Look what they done to my song (Musings on how paid plasma mirrors Rumpelstiltskin)
- TraQ's December newsletter
- India: Despite shortage, India discards 1 million blood units per year (28 Dec. 2017)
- Lebanon: Meeting an organ trafficker who preys on Syrian refugees (25 Apr. 2017)
- Meeting an organ trafficker (2 min 36 sec. BBC video)
- Pakistan: Police rescue 24 from organ trafficking gang (24 Jan. 2017)
- Zimbabwe: Political will needed to end the high cost of blood transfusion (27 Dec. 2017)
- Canada: Inuk woman recovers from acute liver failure and is released from Ontario hospital (27 Dec. 2017) Background:
- History of alcohol use within 6 months denies Inuk woman's right to liver transplant (20 Dec. 2017)
- How doctors decide who gets a transplant (29 Jan. 2015)
- UK transplant policy (See p. 12 for liver transplants and alcohol)
- Canada: BC has a 'Vaccinate or Mask' policy for health professionals during the flu season (Oct. 2017)
- Canada: In Oct. 2017 CBS stopped screening for anti-CMV after 'risk-based decision-making analysis' showed it wasn't needed due to universal leukoreduction
- Canada: CBS's Judie Leach Bennett on 'risk-based decision-making analysis' used by blood suppliers worldwide (~2 min. video)
- Alliance of Blood Operators: Short animated videos explaining elements of the 'risk-based decision-making framework'
- UK: Mum died a week after giving birth due to complications from a rare blood type (27 Dec. 2017)
- USA: Part 7: The Chop Shop (27 Dec. 2017) | Ongoing Reuters series on The Body Trade
- Entire ongoing Reuters series: Cashing in on the donated dead: the body trade (27 Dec. 2017)
- USA: Electronic screening process doesn’t keep out all ineligible paid plasma donors at Plasma Biological Services (26 Dec. 2017)
- ISBT Science Series (Special Issue): 27th Regional Congress of the International Society of Blood Transfusion, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 17-21. Congress Reviews:
- Flanagan P. Self-sufficiency in plasma supply - achievable and desirable? ISBT Sci Ser. (Special Issue) 2017 Nov 7. Epub 27 Sept. 2017.
- Goldman M,O'Brien SF. Our older population: donors as well as recipients? ISBT Sci Ser. (Special Issue) 2017 Nov 7. Epub 10 Sept. 2017.
- Nahirniak S. Hospital transfusion medicine committees – problems and pitfalls. ISBT Sci Ser. (Special Issue) 2017 Nov 7;12(4):418-21. Epub 26 Sept. 2017
- UK (N. Ireland): Biker had 9 surgeries, 40 transfusions,amputated leg, to save his life after Thai bike crash (25 Dec. 2017)
- EHR systems continue to cause burnout, physician dissatisfaction, and decreased face-to-face patient care (22 Dec. 2017)
- Arndt BG, Beasley JW, Watkinson MD, Temte JL, Tuan WJ, Sinsky CA4, Gilchrist VJ. Tethered to the EHR: primary care physician workload assessment using EHR event log data and time-motion observations. Ann Fam Med. 2017 Sep;15(5):419-26. (Free full text)
- Canada: Value of compensation paid to plasma donors increasing (21 Dec. 2017)
- USA: Reindeer’s blood donation saves his brother’s life (20 Dec. 2017) | Case of hemolysis caused by Babesiosis
- Chell K, Davison TE, Masser B, Jensen K. A systematic review of incentives in blood donation. Transfusion 2017 Nov 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jakobsen MA, Dellgren C, Sheppard C, Yazer M, Sprogøe U. The use of next-generation sequencing for the determination of rare blood group genotypes. Transfus Med. 2017 Dec 18. [Epub ahead of print] Background:
- DNA sequencing for the masses (Nature, Dec. 14, 2010)
- Ion TorrentTM next generation sequencing – principle and applications (3 min 20 sec video)
- Karafin MS, et al.; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation Study-III (REDS-III). Demographic and epidemiologic characterization of transfusion recipients from four US regions: evidence from the REDS-III recipient database. Transfusion. 2017 Dec;57(12):2903-13. Epub 2017 Oct 24.
- Goldman M,Shih AW-Y, O'Brien SF, Devine D. Donor deferral policies for men who have sex with men: past, present and future. Vox Sang 2017 Dec. 13 [Epub ahead of print]
- India: Spreading canards about girl: High Court warns of action (17 Dec. 2017) Background:
- ASH recognized Canada's Dr. Yulia Lin of Sunnybrook as one of three clinicians who implemented successful Choosing Wisely projects (15 Dec. 2017)
- Canada: Senator Pamela Wallin opens inquiry into paid-plasma in Canadian Senate (13 Dec. 2017)
- USA: MRIs in strip malls and shopping centers to help patients with cost and convenience (Dark Daily, 13 Dec. 2017)
- Möller M, Hellberg Å, Olsson ML. Thorough analysis of unorthodox ABO deletions called by the 1000 Genomes project. Vox Sang. 2017 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print] | 1000 Genomes Project
- Australia: New national plasma agreement WITH CSL Behring Australia ensures supply for patients (11 Dec. 2017)
- Serbia: Woman infected with HIV through blood transfusion dies from primary illness (12 Dec. 2017)
- Tanzania: Blood testing services at the National Blood Transfusion Service may soon become automated (12 Dec. 2017)
- Blood transfusion is for free, government says (12 Dec. 2017)
- Gupta R, Haseeb MA. Path to the future: join hands with your fellow pathologists—make your community stronger (editorial). Arch Pathol Lab Med 2017 Dec, 141(12):1602-3.
- Olson NJ, Ornstein DL. Factor V inhibitors: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2017 Dec, 141(12):1728-31.
- Weisberg SP, Staley EM, Williams LA 3rd, Pham HP, Bachegowda LS, Cheng YH, et al.Survey on transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus and cytomegalovirus disease mitigation. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2017 Dec, 141(12): 1705-11.
- USA (FDA): Use of Serological Tests to Reduce the Risk of Transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi Infection in Blood and Blood Components Guidance for Industry (Dec. 2017)
- Estonia: Court finds nurse guilty of negligent homicide due to incorrect blood transfusion (7 Dec. 2017)
- India: Blood banks across Mumbai asked to put their stock availability status online via an app (8 Dec. 2017)
- India: Research Institute found guilty of “grave negligence, lapse, and unethical and unlawful act” related to dengue death and overcharging for platelets (7 Dec. 2017)
- USA: DoD awards Terumo BCT grant to explore feasibility of next-generation Mirasol (6 Dec. 2017)
- India: Experts slam SPCA for using Mumbai strays as blood donors for pet dogs (6 Dec. 2017)
- India: Blood transfusion pouches get costlier post-GST (2 Dec. 2017)
- Pakistan: 80,000 HIV patients currently residing in Punjab: report (3 Dec. 2017)
- South Sudan: WHO with support from Japan strengthens blood transfusion services in South Sudan (1 Dec. 2017)
- Japan: Child dies after transfusion of bacteria-tainted platelets (30 Nov. 2017)
- USA: Marines Corps' special ops units become last military branch to carry freeze-dried plasma (30 Nov. 2017)
- U.S. military currently gets its dried plasma from the French (shelf life ~2 years) until Teleflex Inc. gets FDA approval for RePlas™ (scheduled for 2020)
- Brohi K, Eaglestone S. Traumatic coagulopathy and massive transfusion: improving outcomes and saving blood. Southampton (UK): NIHR Journals Library; 2017 Nov. (Free full text book)
- China: Number of cases of HIV infection via blood transfusion reduced to "nearly zero" (1 Dec. 2017)
- S. Korea: Patient blood management can overcome blood shortage (1 Dec. 2017)
- Turkey: Man with HIV sues Turkish Red Crescent after 21 years (1 Dec. 2017) | Background:
- Champion C, Saidenberg E, Lampron J, Pugh D. Blood transfusion knowledge of surgical residents: is an educational intervention effective? Transfusion. 2017 Apr;57(4):965-970. Epub 2017 Mar 16.
- Chin-Yee N,Taylor, JRourke K, Faig D,Davis A, Fergusson D, Saidenberg E. Red blood cell transfusion in adult palliative care: a systematic review. Transfusion 2017. E-Pub Dec 1, 2017.
- Lin Y, Haspel RL. Transfusion medicine education for non-transfusion medicine physicians: a structured review. Vox Sang. 2017 Feb;112(2):97-104. Epub 2017 Feb 7.