What's New - Chronological (March 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's March newsletter
- TraQ's March newsletter
- TM blog: Sweet dreams are made of this (Musings on conferences and why we attend them)
- Grady C, Cummings SR, Rowbotham MC, McConnell MV, Ashley EA, Kang G. Informed consent. N Engl J Med. 2017 Mar 2;376(9):856-67. (Free full text)
- Blunt truth about hype around stem cells and 'cutting edge' medical research (27 Mar. 2017) Meanwhile...
- Study finds transfusing incompatible type A plasma is safe in patients requiring massive transfusion protocol (26 Mar. 2017)
- O my! Paper strip test determines blood type in just 30 seconds (15 Mar. 2017)
- O'Sullivan E, et al. Social media in health science education: an international survey. JMIR Med Educ. 2017 Jan 4;3(1):e1. (Free full text)
- One fifth of students using social media reported they “almost always” shared clinical images without explicit permission.
- Old blood can be made young again and it might fight ageing (22 Mar. 2017)
- Guidi N, et al. Osteopontin attenuates aging-associated phenotypes of hematopoietic stem cells. EMBO J. 2017 Mar 2. pii: e201694969. [E-pub ahead of print] (Free full text)
- UK: Red blood cell manufacture breakthrough (24 Mar.2017)
- University of Bristol press release (24 Mar. 2017)
- Trakarnsanga K, et al. An immortalized adult human erythroid line facilitates sustainable and scalable generation of functional red cells. Nature Commun. 2017 Mar 14;8:14750. (Free full text)
- USA: Court orders 2 fired ICU RNs reinstated (23 Mar. 2017)
- Rules nurses were likely fired because of union activity not that they violated hospital's transfusion policy.
- USA: Planned Systems International to provide transfusion sustainment services to DoD blood management system (21 Mar. 2017)
- PSI supplies IT solutions to government agencies and the military. One service is intrusion/penetration detection to help safeguard data.
- Prioli KM, Pizzi LT, Karp JK, Galanis T, Herman JH; Plasma Cost Focus Group. Cost of purchased versus produced plasma from donor recruitment through transfusion. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2016 Oct;14(5):609-17.
- Barty RL, Pai M, Liu Y, Arnold DM, Cook RJ, Zeller MP, Heddle NM. Group O RBCs: where is universal donor blood being used? (E-Pub 20 Mar. 2017)
- Sharma RR, et al. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on donor notification and counselling strategies for markers of transfusion-transmissible infections: summary (E-Pub 20 Mar. 2017)
- Turkey: Man infected with HIV via transfusion 21 years ago wants to leave country (20 Mar. 2017)
- For interest: Can a person living with HIV immigrate to Canada?
- New CSTM blog (by Eric Ching): Reasons for inconclusive antibody identification (8 Mar. 2017)
- Canada: Korea's Green Cross to complete plasma derivatives manufacturing plant by June (13 Mar. 2017)
- China: Transfusion continues despite fire (Mar. 2017) | Love the way transfusionist slaps blood bag to make it run faster
- Trinidad & Tobago: No risk to entire blood bank supply (17 Mar. 2017) | Background: See Mar. 17 below
- Romania: Craiova transfusion center employees detained on blood trafficking charges (16 Mar. 2017)
- Trinidad and Tobago: Three persons allegedly given HIV-infected blood (16 Mar. 2017)
- Akimichi Ohsaka A, et al., on behalf of the Japan Society of Transfusion Medicine and Cell Therapy Working Party on Safety Management of Blood Transfusions. Recommendations for the electronic pre-transfusion check at the bedside. Blood Transfus. 2016 Sep; 14(5): 419–24. (Free full text)
- Background: Safe transfusion – right blood, right patient, right time and right place (UK's Transfusion Handbook, 4th ed. 2014)
- USA: CDC adds 4 countries to interim travel guidance related to Zika virus (10 Mar. 2017)
- Canada (Alberta): Voluntary Blood Donations Act passes 1st reading (13 Mar. 2017 | No to paid plasma.
- More details: Alberta government unveils plan to ban private blood collection agencies (13 Mar. 2017)
- Widely adopted blood transfusion practice in trauma may not benefit non-trauma patients (8 Mar. 2017)
- Mesar T, Larentzakis A, Dzik W, Chang Y, Velmahos G, Yeh DD. Association between ratio of fresh frozen plasma to red blood cells during massive transfusion and survival among patients without traumatic injury. JAMA Surg. 2017 Mar 8. [Epub ahead of print] (Free full text)
- For fun: What are blood groups and why do they matter? (6 Mar. 2017)
- Canada: Open Letter to Provincial and Territorial Ministers of Health from CEO of Canadian Plasma Resources (8 Mar. 2017) Two of many tidbits from CEO Bahardoust:
- CBS made many disparaging statements about us that are inconsistent,unsupported by evidence, hypocritical.
- CBS caved to pressure by public sector unions who oppose any private sector role regardless of benefits.
- General: Harm and medical ethics (3 Mar. 2017)
- Thought experiment: Imagine spouse cheats on you but you don't know it. Have you been HARMED?
- Turkey: Istanbul University to pay family of woman who died after wrong blood transfusion (3 Mar. 2017)
- Ongoing charges of 'involuntary manslaughter' vs two physicians, one of whom (anesthetist) blames two nurses for the error
- McCoy MS, Carniol M, Chockley K, Urwin JW, Emanuel EJ, Schmidt H. Conflicts of interest for patient-advocacy organizations. N Engl J Med. 2017 Mar 2;376(9):880-5.
- Wailoo K. Sickle cell disease — A history of progress and peril. N Engl J Med 2017 Mar 2;376(9):805-7. (Free full text)
- USA: Hearings of fired ICU RNs continues (Day 8): Plaintiff rests, hospital's case starts tomorrow (3 Feb. 2017)
- USA: Dobby the giraffe receives plasma transfusion at Denver Zoo (3 Feb. 2017)
- Canada: Health group and NDP urges B.C. government to ban private paid plasma clinics (28 Feb. 2017)
- Continuing Education (Canada): CBS-sponsored LearnTransfusion series
- USA (NLRB-CMC Hearings Day 7): Fired ICU nurse Marshall delivers crucial testimony (2 Mar. 2017)
- Background: Hearings resume for ICU RNs unlawfully fired for union activity or for ignoring transfusion protocol? (28 Feb. 2017)
- Poder TG, Boileau JC, Lafrenière R, Thibault L, Carrier N, de Grandmont MJ, Beauregard P. Quantitative assessment of haemolysis secondary to modern infusion pumps. Vox Sang. 2017 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- General (USA): The blood substitute Ohio State researchers hope will save lives (28 Feb. 2017)
- OSU researcher leads in global pursuit of blood substitute (13 Jan. 2017)
- UK: Carrying FFP on air ambulances sees "Unexpected Survivors" (28 Feb. 2017)
- USA: Big Pharma quietly enlists leading professors to justify $1,000/day drugs, inc. new hepatitis C drugs (23 Feb. 2017)
- USA: Reasons for botched Zika testing at DC public health lab (25 Feb. 2017)
- Factors included understaffed, lack of leadership, relying on inexperienced staff
- USA: ARC seeks volunteer transport drivers and have for a long time
- Old resource but still useful: Indian Immunohematology Initiative (CE videos) | Case studies
- Farrugia A, Scaramuccia D. The dynamics of contract plasma fractionation. Biologicals. 2017 Feb 21. pii: S1045-1056(17)30016-7. [Epub ahead of print]