What's New - Chronological (July 2015)
Canadian meetings: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- BC PBCO | BC PBCO Manual updates
- BC Ministry of Health: West Nile Virus Update 2015-1 (20 July 2015)
- 2015 Action Plan for WNV and the Blood Supply
- TraQ's July newsletter
- Health Canada: Blood Error or Accident Investigation Preliminary Report Form (FRM-0337, 2014-10-23)
- Simon TG, Bradley J, Jones A, Carino G. Massive intravascular hemolysis from Clostridium perfringens septicemia: a review. J Intensive Care Med. 2014 Nov-Dec;29(6):327-33.
- UK: 2014 SHOT Report
- Only 2 deaths definitely related to transfusion: 1 hemolytic transfusion reaction, 1 TACO. Delayed transfusion contributed to 3 deaths
- Canada (BC Ministry of Health): West Nile Virus Update 2015-1<(20 July 2015)
- Australia: Transfusion Learning Online (via ARCBS)
- Enko D, Habres C, Wallner F, Mayr B, Halwachs-Baumann G. Frequencies and specificities of "enzyme-only" detected erythrocyte alloantibodies in patients hospitalized in austria: is an enzyme test required for routine red blood cell antibody screening? J Blood Transfus. 2014;2014:532919. Epub 2014 Mar 25. (Full free text)
- Sharpe C, Lane D, Cote J, Hosseini-Maaf B, Goldman M, Olsson ML, Hult AK. Mixed field reactions in ABO and Rh typing chimerism likely resulting from twin haematopoiesis. Blood Transfus. 2014 Oct;12(4):608-10. Epub 2014 Mar 19. (Full free text)
- USA: HDL puts itself up for sale (20 July 2015, Dark Daily)
- Action follows (1) lawsuit alleging HDL gave kickbacks to physicians to order unnecessary blood tests and to send blood samples to HDL when less expensive clinical labs were qualified; (2) Agreeing to $100 million fine to settle charges with federal investigators; (3) Filing for bankruptcy protection
- Background: WSJ exposé puts HDL on defensive (9 Sept. 2014)
- Lab law shakeup gives rise to health venture, Iggbo (13 July 2015)
- Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma standards are needed (3 min. video, Transfusion News, 15 July, 2015) Background:
- Dubai's plastic surgery boom (6 Apr. 2015)
- Can penis or vagina injections give you a better sex life? (14 Mar. 2015)
- Romania: Transylvanian festival offers ticket discount for blood donors Get 'em young!
- Powter G, Willoughby K. Nurses' role in platelet transfusion clinical trials. Nurs Times. 2015 May 6-12;111(19):18-20.
- Vossoughi SR, Macauley R, Sazama K, Fung MK. Attitudes, practices, and training on informed consent for transfusions and procedures: a survey of medical students and physicians. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Aug;144(2):315-21.
- USA: UnityPoint Health receives 2015 Business Analytics Innovation Award from Loras College due to use of analytics to improve transfusion practices
- New TM blog: Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be hempaths (Musings on evolving TM careers)
- TraQ's July newsletter
- Wallace PJ, Connell NT, Abkowitz JL. The role of hematologists in a changing United States health care system. Blood. 2015 Apr 16;125(16):2467-70. Epub 2015 Mar 6. (Full free text)
- Australia: Judge allows blood transfusion for Jehovah’s Witness boy, against parents’ wishes (25 June 2015)
- Canada: BC hospital needs ethnically diverse blood for CBS Cord Blood Bank (25 June 2015)
- UK: SHOT Posters (presented at ISBT/BBTS conference, London June 27-July 1, 2015) An example:
- An Analysis of Lab Errors – what goes wrong and when do errors occur (Hema Mistry, Alison Watt, Tony Davies, Paula HB Bolton-Maggs)
- ISBT Academy ePortal (25 min. video): Serological tools for investigating immunohaematology problems (Nicole Thornton, IBGRL, UK)
- USA: Iggbo connects doctors with phlebotomists through a mobile app (~Uber cabs) (13 July 2015)
- UK: Restrictive policies for blood transfusions could produce significant cost savings for NHS (10 July 2015)
- Jairath V, et al. Restrictive versus liberal blood transfusion for acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding (TRIGGER): a pragmatic, open-label, cluster randomised feasibility trial. Lancet 2015 Jul 11:386 (9989)137-44.
- Is it more acceptable to sell your body or your body part? (2 July 2015)
- Elias JJ, Lacetera N, Macis M. Markets and morals: an experimental survey study. PLoS One. 2015 Jun 1;10(6):e0127069. eCollection 2015. (Full free text)
- Capitalizing on opportunities in cord blood industry growth (19 June 2015) One advice tidbit: Sell more effectively
- Irani MS, Figueroa D, Savage G. Acute hemolytic transfusion reaction due to anti-Leb. Transfusion. 2015 May 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kreuger AL, Middelburg RA, Zwaginga JJ, van der Bom JG, Kerkhoffs J. Clinical practice of platelet transfusions in haemato-oncology. Vox Sang. 2015 Jul;109(1):91-4. Epub 2015 Mar 31.
- Tchakarov A, Hobbs R, Bai Y. Transfusion of D+ red blood cells to D- individuals in trauma situations. Immunohematology. 2014;30(4):149-52.
- Australia: CSL is plasma industry's Saudi Arabia with a 51% gross profit margin (30 June 2015)
- USA: Self-made billionaire’s blood testing company clears FDA, receives backlash (8 July 2015) | Theranos
- Sample prices: ABO/Rh $4.10 / Antibody screen (rbc) $25.75
- Campbell HE, Stokes EA, Bargo DN, Curry N, Lecky FE, Edwards A, et al. Quantifying the healthcare costs of treating severely bleeding major trauma patients: a national study for England. Crit Care. 2015 Jul 6;19(1):276. [Epub ahead of print]
- Health Canada: Blood Regulations (TraQ's resource links updated)
- BC PBCO (Technical Operations Manual) Updated OM.0003 Notifying the Lookback Recipient’s Physician (v. 1.1, 2015-07-02)