What's New - Chronological (June 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars now available (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's June newsletter | BC PBCO
- Nigeria: Why husbands must donate blood in Lagos public hospitals (20 June 2013)
- AABB: Proposed 29th edition of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services | Public comment until June 29, 2013
- India: 4 patients who contracted HIV after blood transfusion awarded Rs 5 lakh (~$8700 CDN)
- Mushkbar M, Watkins E, Doughty H. A UK single-centre survey of red cell antibodies in adult patients undergoing liver transplantation. Vox Sang. 2013 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Literature on education in transfusion medicine
- Graham J, Grant-Casey J, Alston R, Baker P, Pendry K. Assessing transfusion competency in junior doctors: a retrospective cohort study. Transfusion 2013 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- International Forum. Education in transfusion medicine for medical students and doctors. Vox Sang. 2013 Feb 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Louw VJ, Nel MM, Hay JF. Factors affecting the current status of transfusion medicine education in South Africa. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pirie ES, Gray MA. Exploring the assessors' and nurses' experience of formal assessment of clinical competency in the administration of blood components. Nurse Educ Pract. 2007 Jul;7(4):215-27. Epub 2006 Oct 11.
- India: 3 officials (Dr. and 2 lab technicians) suspended in Assam HIV+ transfusion case (17 June 2013)
- Ireland: ISBT has plan in place in case terror strikes (15 June 2013)
- India: Criminal case to be brought after transfusion of HIV-infected blood to 4 patients in Assam (15 June 2013)
- TraQ's June newsletter
- TM blog: In my life (Musings on the challenges of transfusion medicine education)
- World Blood Donor Day, 14 June 2013 | WHO calls for all nations to have 100% of blood & blood products from unpaid donors by 2020
- Canada: Safety trumps politics in blood donation (24 May 2013)
- Ireland: ISBT says bood imports required in the event of terror attack (12 June 2013)
- UK: 2011 SHOT Report - Summary | Full Report | Key recommendations feature 'Back to Basics'
- USA: Stanford Blood Bank settles 5-yr lawsuit with man who claims he developed Group B strep infection from donating blood (7 June 2013)
- Research and Markets
- Anderson MA, Glazebrook B, Cutts B, Stevenson L, Bielby L, Borosak M. When do we transfuse cryoprecipitate? Intern Med J. 2013 Feb 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lai M, Leone G, Landolfi R. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia with gel-based immunohematology tests. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013 Apr;139(4):457-63.
- Louw VJ, Nel MM, Hay JF. Factors affecting the current status of transfusion medicine education in South Africa.Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Quillen K, Caron J, Murphy K. Performance characteristics of two automated solid-phase red cell adherence systems for pretransfusion antibody screening: a cautionary tale. Immunohematology. 2012;28(4):137-9.
- Wise SC, Tinsley SH, Cook LO. Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria: a case report. Immunohematology. 2012;28(4):118-23.
- Spahn DR, Goodnough LT. Alternatives to blood transfusion. (review) Lancet 2013 May 25;381(9880):1855-65.
- CSTM Annual Conference (Edmonton, Alberta, 7-9 June, 2013)
- Canada: In absence of sufficient data, Health Canada used Monte Carlo statistical method to determine risk probabilities of changing MSM policy (CMAJ, 28 May 2013)
- HC changed policy based on results of computer simulations using random sampling from probability distributions. And yes, the Monte Carlo method gets its name from the gambling casino in Monte Carlo. It was invented in late1940s by a scientist working at Los Alamos National Laboratory whose uncle gambled there.
- Canada: Tribute to the late Sheila Cornwall (contributed by Ray Berger, CSTM website)
- Tormey CA, Gary Stack G. Limiting the extent of a delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction with automated red blood cell exchange. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013 Jun;137(6):861-4.