What's New - Chronological (January 2012)
TraQ's December newsletter | BC PBCO |
- UK: Private company to run NHS general hospital for first time (29 Jan. 2012)
- Background: Where lucre is still filthy
- Jones BA, Darcy T, Souers RJ, Meier FA. Staffing benchmarks for clinical laboratories: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of laboratory staffing at 98 institutions. Arch Path & Lab Med 2012 Feb;136(2):140-7.
- Germany: Anti-doping agency investigates 28 athletes for blood doping involving UV light (30 Jan. 2012)
- Cherkas D. Traumatic hemorrhagic shock: advances in fluid management. Emerg Med Pract 2011 Nov;13(11):1-19.
- UK (Wales): Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board's hospitals reject ~ 7% of crossmatch samples (overall rejection rate <0.1%) (26 Jan. 2012)
- Australia (NBA): Patient Blood Management Guideline: Module 3 - Medical (Draft open for consultation Jan. 23 - Mar. 16, 2012)
- UK: IBMS Blood Group Serology Durham Conference (23 Mar. 2012) (Check out the speakers)
- TraQ's Calendar of Events (updated 23 Jan. 2012)
- USA: Armed Services Blood Program supports patient care world-wide (20 Jan. 2012)
- RBC storage duration not associated with transfusion-related complications (21 Jan. 2012)
- Canada: NB abandons plan to create independent blood agency but opponents of CBS plant closure plan to continue fight (13 Jan. 2012)
- UK: vCJD blood test being evaluated in UK and on samples from US ARC donors (13 Jan. 2012)
- USA (NIH): Guide to blood droplet 'snap freezing' of RBCs in liquid N2 (Blood droplets photo, cover of Transfusion, Dec. 2011)
- UK: Interview: Transfusion Practitioner for Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (16 Jan. 2012)
- USA: Florida won't block blood bank merger (12 Jan. 2012)
- TraQ's December newsletter
- TM blog: Stand by me (Musings on bullying by health professionals)
- Eyles J, Heddle N, Webert K, Arnold E, McCurdy B. Do expert assessments converge? An exploratory case study of evaluating and managing a blood supply risk. BMC Public Health. 2011 Aug 24;11:666. (full free text)
- A case study of a major blood withdrawal in Ontario, Canada involving 1000s of blood components caused by a clerical issue with records of donation, with likely a minimal or no risk to the blood supply.
- Quotations from study participants reveal the spectrum of opinions by the different players on risk as hazard, liability, and precaution.
- Entire human genome for $1000 US (10 Jan. 2012)
- Future of stem cell therapy (10 Jan. 2012)
- UK: 79 yr-old patient sent home with blood transfusion cannula still in arm (12 Jan. 2012)
- USA: Small Florida blood bank urges state to halt planned merger of 3 largest blood centers (5 Jan. 2012)
- Study finds need for blood is less post-surgery (19 Dec. 2011)
- Barr PJ, Bailie KEM. Transfusion thresholds in focus (editorial) N Engl J Med 2011 Dec 29; 365(26):2532-3.
- Carson JL, et al. and the FOCUS Investigators. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med. 2011 Dec 29;365(26):2453-62. Epub 2011 Dec 14.
- UK: Presentations from NEQAS, 2011
- USA: CDC reports HCV transmission via transplants (22 Dec. 2011)
- Transmission of hepatitis C virus through transplanted organs and tissue — Kentucky and Massachusetts, 2011. MMWR 2011 Dec 23; 60(50);1697-1700.
- Australia: Review of blood system concludes reforms are needed (9 Jan. 2012)
- Patrick Mollison, a giant of transfusion medicine, dead at 97
- Herbert Polesky, medical director of Memorial Blood Centers for 35 years, dead at 78