What's New - May 2011 (By topic)
Also see What's new - chronological
- BC PBCO website
- 2011 Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (September 28, 2011 in Castlegar, BC)
- Presented by BC PBCO & CBS in conjunction with BCSLS Congress
- Research employing electrical properties to distinguish new from old red cells may have clinical uses (18 May 2011) [Also see Huang, et al. in Journals below]
- Can platelet transfusions trigger severe reactions in those with peanut allergies? (18 May 2011)
- Jacobs JFM, et al. Anaphylaxis from passive transfer of peanut allergen, in a blood product. N Engl J Med 2011 May 19: 364(20): 1981-2.
- Off-label use of F VIIa soars (18 April 2011) (Also see Journals below)
- Supervisory positions in histology and blood banks hard to fill (Dark Report, 25 April 2011)
- Examining the safety of transfusing older red cells (23 April 2011)
- World anti-doping lab looks for test to detect plasticizers from blood bags (20 April 2011)
- Massive Transfusion Consensus Conference (June 9 - 11, 2011)
- Bulgaria : Black market in blood flourishes (23 May 2011)
- Mexico : Blood donors in short supply amid drug war (5 May 2011)
- UK: Government launches 'listening exercises' to modernise NHS
- Grifols, Talecris reach agreement with U.S. antitrust officials on merger (2 May 2011)
- Johnson & Johnson - looking for a band-aid to combat business woes (The Economist, 20 April 2011)
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
Resource Library / Links
- Court EL, Robinson JA, Hocken DB . Informed consent and patient understanding of blood transfusion. Transfus Med 2011;21(3):183-9, June 2011.
- Goddard K, Shabestari O, Kay JD, Roudsari A. Formatively evaluating the importance of different aspects of an electronic blood transfusion system from the end users' point of view: a questionnaire study. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160(Pt 2):1211-5.
- Huang YX, Wu ZJ, Mehrishi J, Huang BT, Chen XY, Zheng XJ, Liu WJ, Luo M. Human red blood cell aging: correlative changes in surface charge and cell properties. J Cell Mol Med 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Karp JK, Weston CM, King KE. Transfusion medicine in American undergraduate medical education. Transfusion. 2011 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Krog GR, Clausen FB, Berkowicz A, Jørgensen L, Rieneck K, Nielsen LK, Dziegiel MH. Is current serologic RhD typing of blood donors sufficient for avoiding immunization of recipients? Transfusion 2011 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mostaghimi A, Crotty BH. Professionalism in the digital age. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Apr 19;154(8):560-2.
- Shaikh S, Sloan SR. Clearance of maternal isohemagglutinins from infant circulation. Transfusion 2011 May;51:938-42. e-Pub: 26 Oct 2010.
- Strobel E, Betten S. Novel aspects in the evaluation of an automated blood group analyser. Transfus Med 2011;21(3):205-8, June 2011.
- Wallis JP. Strategies to reduce transfusion acquired vCJD. Transfus Med. 2011 Feb;21(1):1-6.