- We are saddened by news of the passing of George Garratty, March 17, 2014 | See Jan. blog for news of his retirement from editorial board of AABB's Transfusion
- Blood transfusion rejuvenates mice. Could they do the same for humans?(5 May 2014)
- Could young blood slow ageing? (UK NHS, 6 May 2014)
- USA: Boston docs urge disclosure of sickle cell trait carriers (CMAJ, 5 May 2014)
- Make fake blood cuts (fun chemistry trick on Youtube)
- For fun: Algorithm on how to name your conference
- Follow CSTM on Twitter (See who new president is and who received the 2014 awards)
- CBS CEO Sher: Purchased plasma safe,essential (8 May 2014)
- In reply to Payment for plasma bad policy (1 May 2014)
- Paid plasma ban dead from git-go. Legislation dies when Ontario budget rejected, election called (3 May 2014)
- Will Act banning paid blood and plasma collection die in committee? (24 Apr. 2014) | Blog by OPSEU Health Care Divisional Council
- Big pharma’s relationship with your doctor needs some US-style sunshine (26 Mar. 2014)
- Canadian Plasma Resources plans to sue to recover $7.5M investment if proposed ban on paying for plasma becomes law (23 Apr. 2014)
- Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard (available on CSA website)
- NHS Trust entitled to withhold treatment from Jehovah’s Witness, court rules (9 May 2014)
- 3D printing drastically reduces development costs of autotransfusion machine (15 Apr. 2014) | Background
- Wellcome Trust-funded stem cell research produces RBC fit for human transfusion, paving way for mass production (14 Apr. 2014)
- Vet accused of secretly keeping family’s pet alive for blood transfusions (30 Apr. 2014)
- University of Houston biomed engineer gets 1.8 million NIH 'Transformative Research Award' to develop safer transfusion device (23 Apr. 2014) | Simple device will separate rbc from all other materials in blood bag just before transfusion
- FDA Guidance for Industry. An Acceptable Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components
- Download Circular: Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components (AABB,ARC, ABC, ASBP)
- USA: U.S. Army and Vascular Solutions Inc. partner to develop freeze-dried plasma to treat battlefield injuries (23 Apr. 2014) | Vascular Solutions press release
- Sale of blood transfusion test unit to Grifols boosts Novartis first-quarter profit (24 Apr. 2014)
- Technological advancements drive demand for blood processing supplies and equipment - Global Industry Analysts report (15 April 2014)
- HIV: Why Is blood donation still incredibly homophobic? (by Dr. Matt McCarty, 8 May 2014)
- Allen TC. Intradepartmental consultation: what is the pathologist's legal liability? Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 May;138(5): 589-91. (editorial)
- Dalrymple K, Watson D. Ten years of transfusion practitioners and better blood transfusion in Scotland. Nurs Manag (Harrow). 2014 Mar;20(10):27-30.
- de Oliveira CD, de Bairros AV, Yonamine M. Blood doping: risks to athletes' health and strategies for detection. Subst Use Misuse. 2014 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Flegel WA, Roseff, SD,Tholpady A. Phasing-In RHD Genotyping. (editorial) Arch Pathol Lab Med2014 May;138(5): 585-8.
- Katus MC, Szczepiorkowski ZM, Dumont LJ, Dunbar NM. Safety of platelet transfusion: past, present and future. Vox Sang. 2014 Mar 20. doi: 10.1111/vox.12146. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sandler SG, Roseff SD, Domen RE, Shaz B, Gottschall JL. Policies and procedures related to testing for weak D phenotypes and administration of Rh Immune Globulin: Results and recommendations related to supplemental questions in the Comprehensive Transfusion Medicine Survey of the College of American Pathologists. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 May;138(5): 620-5.
- Segura J, Lundby C. Blood doping: potential of blood and urine sampling to detect autologous transfusion. Br J Sports Med. 2014 May;48(10):837-41.
- Sharma D, Murki A, Murki S, Pratap T. Anti-M antibodies as a cause of intrauterine fetal death and neonatal hyperbilirubinaemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Apr 15;2014. pii: bcr2014203534. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-203534.
- Thomas W, Davies J, Asamoah A, Scott-Molloy C, Sansom V, Kerr J. Two samples for blood transfusion: single centre experience. Transfus Med. 2014 Apr 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- van de Mheen L, Smits SM, Terpstra WE, Leyte A, Bekedam DJ, van den Akker ES. Haemolytic anaemia after nitrofurantoin treatment in a pregnant woman with G6PD deficiency. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Apr 30;2014. pii: bcr2013010087. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-010087.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
New TM blog: C'est si bon (Musings on TM news that is good and not so good)
BBTS blog: Simply the best (Musings on tribalism among transfusion professionals)
Canada: ORBCon informed consent app, v. 1.1.0 (free on iTunes)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Older resources (BC PBCO)
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors