- AABB: Proposed 1st edition of Standards for a Patient Blood Management Program (Available for public comment from Nov. 20, 2013 to Jan. 20, 2014)
- Is this a hemolytic transfusion reaction? (11 Dec. 2013, Medscape)
- Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- The Blood Regulations contain safety requirements with respect to blood for transfusion or for further manufacture and apply to all persons or establishments who perform any of the following activities related to blood: processing (donor suitability assessment, collection, testing and blood component preparation); transforming (washing, pooling and irradiating blood intended for transfusion); labelling; storing; record keeping; importing (for transfusion); distributing; and error, accident and adverse reaction investigation and reporting.
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard (available on CSA website)
- Australia implemented a blood accreditation standard for all hospital and day centres in Sept. 2012 (Just found out)
- State to initiate blood on call scheme (29 Nov. 2013)
- Instead of running around to arrange blood for transfusion, patients can get blood through a dedicated helpline with blood transported by motorcycle to hospitals
- Iran's blood safety improves (6 Nov. 2013)
- Iranian WHO rep speaks on recognition of Iran as WHO Collaborating Center for Training and Research on Blood Safety (6 Nov. 2013) Interesting presentation by Iranian WHO representative
- Patient infected with HIV after HIV+ donor blood not detected (26 Nov. 2013) | Factors inc. early infection, pools of 20 tested, donor lied about risky sexual behavior
- Serious Adverse Events Report 2012-13 (21 Nov. 2013, Health Quality & Safety Commission)
- Patient given incorrect blood | Nursing shift was busy & doctor may have been tired due to only having 3 hrs sleep overnight.
- Patient bled to death after artery cut & transfusion delayed (27 Nov. 2013)
- Drive to recruit more Muslim blood donors in Sheffield (21 Nov. 2013)
- HHS Advisory Committee on Blood and Tissue Safety asks government to institute surveillance system before permitting some gay and bisexual men to give blood (5 Dec. 20130
- Should paying bone marrow donors be banned? (5 Dec. 2013) | And does it matter if donation is by bone marrow aspiration or apheresis to obtain hematopoietic stem cells?
- 6 ways to make money by selling your body (2 Dec. 2013)
- ARC to close national blood testing lab in Detroit amid national trend of declining demand for blood (24 Nov. 2013)
- Emergent BioSolutions pays $222M to acquire Winnipeg-based Cangene (11 Dec. 2014)
- Immucor's 2013 Form 10-K (Risk Factors, pp. 9-16 are interesting) | Also see blog, Goldfinger's filings, a customer's toolkit
- Novartis to sell blood transfusion diagnostics unit to Grifols for $1.68 billion (11 Nov. 2013)
- CJD: Blood may be able to transmit Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) (French National Institute for Agricultural Research press release, 12 Dec. 2013)
- HIV: Unprotected sex by gay men rose nearly 20% from 2005 to 2011 (27 Nov. 2013)
- Butch S.H. Competency assessment in the transfusion service: tips and tools. MLO Observer, Oct. 2013.
- * Macdonald NE, O'Brien SF, Delage G. Transfusion and risk of infection in Canada: Update 2012. Paediatr Child Health. 2012 Dec;17(10):e102-e106. [Article in English, French]
- Thornton KM, Nyp MF, Music Aplenc L, Jones GL, Carpenter SL, Guest EM, Shapiro SM, Manimtim WM. An unusual case of rapidly progressive hyperbilirubinemia. Case Rep Pediatr. 2013;2013:284029. Epub 2013 Oct 29.
- * Tinmouth A, Thompson T, Arnold DM, Callum JL, Gagliardi K, Lauzon D, Owens W, Pinkerton P. Utilization of frozen plasma in Ontario: a provincewide audit reveals a high rate of inappropriate transfusions. Transfusion 2013 Oct;53(10):2222-9.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
* Also see TraQ's 'Disease clearinghouses' in top menu
Resource Library / Links
GHEST symposium presentations (28 Sept. 2013)
My First Transfusion, illustrated children's book by Thea Gagliardi and Nancy Stefin, illustrations by Erin Warkentin (2012, McMaster Transfusion Research Program)
Australia: Post-graduate Certificate in Transfusion Practice (Online course via University of Melbourne School of Nursing)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
New TM blog: The long and winding road (Musings on 30 years of transfusion-associated AIDS)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors