What's New - Chronological (August 2012)
- TraQ's August newsletter | BC PBCO |
- BC PBCO & BC Transfusion Medicine Advisory Group: Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists (open to Canadian clinical, technical, medical staff) July 16 to Sept. 28, 2012
- PBCO-CBS Joint Education Session on Transfusion Medicine Issues (26 Sept. 2012, Kamloops, BC)
- Red Cross sees red over blood claims (14 Aug. 2012) | Similar to Canada when CBS closed its component production & distribution centre in Saint John, NB?
- ARC activates National Blood Supply Contingency Plan when national computer system [Mak Progesa] crashes (8 July 2012) | Activated 6 July; deactivated 11 July
- Ireland: Blood donors & safety: IBTS Scientific Medical Director defends policy of permanently excluding MSM (25 Aug. 2012)
- USA - CDC WNV press briefing: 1,118 WNV cases, 41 deaths (22 Aug. 2012)
- 242 potentially viremic blood donors from 26 states (vs 25 one month ago)
- Highest numbers of reported WNV cases through 3rd week in August since WNV first detected in U.S. in 1999 Also see TraQ's WNV clearinghouse
- Canada (BC PBCO): Updates to Technical Operations Manual, TMP0021 - Transfusion Reaction Investigation (Aug. 2012: see TMP0021, Flowchart, v. 2.0 and TR 0001, Responding to the Report of a Suspected Acute Transfusion Reaction, v. 2.0)
- UK: Lancashire blood motorcycles get trackers (21 Aug. 2012)
- 85% of researchers promoting off-label drug use inadequately disclose financial conflicts of interest (7 Aug. 2012)
- Kesselheim A, Wang B, Studdert DM, Avorn J. Conflict of interest reporting by authors involved in promotion of off-label drug use: an analysis of journal disclosures. PLoS Med 2012;9(8): e1001280.
- Immucor's credit rating at Standard & Poor's (13 Aug. 2012) Interesting read
- Beyond the Paraffin Curtain: The Pathologist As Laboratory Medical Director (Ed Uthman's handout for talk at upcoming pathology conference) Ed's talks are informative and fun
- Australia: Red Cross Blood Service relocates blood testing and processing from Adelaide to Melbourne (Cost savings cited. Affects 60 of 570 Blood Service employees in South Australia)
- Canada: ORBCon Report (Aug. 2012) Focus is on IVIG | ORBCon
- India: Beware - this blood bank is Rhesus positive (8 Aug. 2012) Odd item from India where monkeys can freely wander inside some hospitals
- UK: NHSBT Customer Service Annual Report (June 2012) Nice look at how UK blood supplier handles customer service
- Pfizer settles bribery charges (11 Aug. 2012) 8/10 biggest firms mention costs for corruption. Pfizer seems to be the norm for industry.
- TM blog: When sweet dreams become nightmares (Musings on health officials and Big Pharma)
- Attention Transfusion Safety Officers & any other Transfusion healthcare professionals: Transfusion Safety and Patient Blood Management Survey (Please complete by Sept 7 2012. Your participation is appreciated) Preliminary Survey results will be presented at 2012 AABB.
- Australia (NBA): Patient Blood Management Guidelines (August 2012 progress update)
- Canada: CBS BC & Yukon WNV Update #2012-3 (27 July 2012) Also see TraQ's WNV clearinghouse
- UK unveils patient-centred electronic health strategy (CMAJ, 7 Aug. 2012)
- Canada: Errors, mislabelled samples pose 'staggering' cost to Canada's blood banks (6 Aug. 2012) | So misleading
- Richard Smith, ex- BMJ editor, on receiving end (31 July 2012)
- 2 people docs should never upset: ward nurses & journal editors
- Wales: Nurses, pharmacists trained to take docs' place & order blood transfusion (2 Aug. 2012)
- Free access to selected articles in ASH's journal, Blood (2 Aug. 2012)