What's New - Chronological (December 2011)
NEW: TraQ's November newsletter | BC PBCO | Transfusion reaction education for BC pathologists (Oct. - Dec. 2011)
- Pillonel J, Heraud-Bousquet V, Pelletier B, Semaille C, Velter A, Saura C, Desenclos JC, Danic B; the blood donor epidemiological surveillance study group. Deferral from donating blood of men who have sex with men: impact on the risk of HIV transmission by transfusion in France. Vox Sang 2012 Jan;102(1): 13–21. [Pub. online Jun 21]
- Milligan C, Higginson I, Smith JE. Emergency department staff knowledge of massive transfusion for trauma: the need for an evidence based protocol. Emerg Med J 2011 Oct;28(10):870-2.
- Breakthrough with gene therapy for hemophilia B (10 Dec. 2011)
- Gene therapy for hemophilia B has early success in small study (University College, London) (inc. nice video)
- Full free text: Nathwani AC, et al. Adenovirus-associated virus vector-mediated gene transfer in hemophilia B. N Engl J Med 2011 Dec. 10 (Published online)
- Obituary: A humble man and a great Canadian, Dr. B.P.L. (Paddy) Moore, who died on Dec. 5, 2011
- TraQ's November newsletter
- TM blog: You're so vain: What we've got here is failure to communicate (Musings on the CBS-NB 'blood feud')
- Arinsburg SA, Skerrett DL, Friedman MT, Cushing MM. A survey to assess transfusion medicine education needs for clinicians. Transfus Med 2011 Dec 5 [Epub ahead of print]
- UK: Govt. plans to share confidential patient records with researchers automatically unless patients opt out (The Register, 6 Dec. 2011)
- DOH: Government boost to world leading UK life science industry (5 Dec. 2011)
- Political "collaboration" with drug companies (blog by Glasgow GP) (4 Dec. 2011)
- Dzik WH, et al. Clinical review: Canadian National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products - Massive transfusion consensus conference 2011: report of the panel. Crit Care 2011 Dec 8, 15:242. [Watch NAC for full report]
- O'Brien SF, Zou S, Laperche S, Brant LJ, Seed CR, Kleinman SH. Surveillance of transfusion-transmissible infections: comparison of systems in five developed countries. Transfus Med Rev 2012 Jan;26(1):38-57.
- USA: Court rules that prohibiting payment for organ donation does not apply to stem cells extracted from blood (1 Dec. 2011)
- Court ruling: Flynn, et al. v. Holder Jr.
- Canada: Living Donor Paired Exchange kidney transplant registry completes 100th transplant (29 Nov. 2011)
- Newborn deaths from necrotising enterocolitis linked to AB blood type (23 Nov. 2011)
- Thomson T, Habeeb O, Dechristopher PJ, Glynn L, Yong S, Muraskas J. Decreased survival in necrotizing enterocolitis is significantly associated with neonatal and maternal blood group: the AB isoagglutinin hypothesis. J Perinatol. 2011 Nov 17. [Epub ahead of print]