When do Canadian CSTM Standards specify that vital signs must be monitored?
CSTM Standards* specify that recipient vital signs be monitored before, during, and after transfusion. Other guidelines such as the BCSH guidelines** are more explicit.
Regardless of standards, a review of best practices reveals that patient vital signs are often assessed:
- Start of the transfusion
- 15 minutes after the start of transfusion
- End of transfusion
Recipient vital signs are often assessed more often, e.g.,
- 30 minutes after the start of transfusion, then hourly until the transfusion is completed
- 1 hour after the start of transfusion and hourly until the transfusion is completed
- Post-transfusion (e.g., 30 mins. or 4 hrs.)
* CSTM Standards for Hospital Transfusion Services, v 4 (Note: When Case O6 was created, it was v. 2)